lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Squash Help Please

I am a fan of straight neck Yellow Squash for the summertime. That is what I thought I bought at lows. Instead, I have a plant that is running like pumpkins or cantaloupes and producing fruit like this. Can anyone tell me what I have, when is it ripe and how do I cook it.

Thanks for your help.

applestar
Mod

Looks a bit like Cushaw squash/pumpkin doesn't it? Maybe mis-packaged seeds?

imafan26
Mod

I never heard of that pumpkin. At first I thought it looked like a young butternut. Anyway, it sure does not look like summer squash.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

imafan26 wrote:I never heard of that pumpkin. At first I thought it looked like a young butternut. Anyway, it sure does not look like summer squash.
That's what I was going to say too. Just looks like an immature butternut to me that I grow every year. The green stripes disappear of course, and the squash becomes tan colored. They are my favorite squash

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Taiji wrote:
imafan26 wrote:I never heard of that pumpkin. At first I thought it looked like a young butternut. Anyway, it sure does not look like summer squash.
That's what I was going to say too. Just looks like an immature butternut to me that I grow every year. The green stripes disappear of course, and the squash becomes tan colored. They are my favorite squash
The closest pics I find on internet are butternut, but I am not sure I can deal with that much running vine. I am the PETC guy, remember.
In any event, will young butternut fry like yellow squash?
How long before tan and ripe?
I hear they keep long time?
How do you cook them?

I am helping step son and DIL with their first garden and took them some of this squash so they will want to know how to prepare also

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I can't remember the exact number of days to maturity, but they are a full season winter squash. I have 2 left that were harvested last Sept. 15. They are doing great; not showing any signs of going bad.

To have with dinner, I just cut into chunks; remove seeds and bake in oven. But, I use them for "pumpkin" pie too. In that case, I peel them with a potato peeler, then cut up into smaller chunks; remove seeds and boil til done. Then mash up and use for pie.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They look like butternut squash to me too.

We cut them in half, seed them, olive oil plenty and salt and pepper, and a wee tiny bit of really maple syrup, then roast them 400°F for an hour. I especially like them when they get a tiny bit of char.

My kids really like the BBQ version. I cube them (1-ish inch) cover them with evoo, salt, pepper, tiny bit of cinnamon, maple syrup and smoked paprika! They get a bit crispy! So yummy!

Sometimes I make soup. I boil the cubes with vegetable broth, salt and pepper. I blend it with raw cashews and then top it with browned butter and sage that was fried in the same butter. That's too fru-fru for my kids though. They don't know what's good.... :roll:

applestar
Mod

Haha I guess I'm thinking too exotically :>

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what you have, but the package was definitely mis-labeled.
I am going to suggest getting some more fresh seed from a different source and planting it now. There is still time for summer squash.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”