Mguenette
Newly Registered

Tomato Plant in City Picker

Has anyone grown indeterminate tomato plants in a city picker? I want to put sungold tomatoes with a jalapeño plant in one city picker. Do you think the tomatoes will take over and overshadow the jalapeño plant? I've only grown determinate types in a city picker before.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ummm.... I never heard of a "city picker." What is it?

imafan26
Mod

. A city picker is a commercial SIP container. It does have wheels to make it more mobile. But a rubbermaid tub. Actually 2 ruber maid tubs are cheaper than one city picker.

According to the city picker website you can grow two tomatoes in it. It has a two gallon reservoir and when a tomato is in fruit it can use more than that in a day. The 24x20 inch city picker sold at home depot has a 2 gallon reservoir. Plant spacing for tomatoes is 24 inches. Plant spacing for peppers is 12-18 inches apart. There should be enough space but I would just plant one large plant. When I grew tomatoes in 18 gallon self watering containers. I had a 5 gallon reservoir and 10 gallons of soil for one plant and the reservoir was full of roots by the end of the tomato growing season. I only planted indeterminates. I did plant peppers and determnate tomatoes in 5 gallon self watering containers. They did o.k. I did not try to grow an indeterminate in a small SIP. I did not use lime and I did not have BER. Part of that may be that the reservoir was filled daily so it never went dry and I grow heat resistant tomatoes which have fewer problems with BER.
https://www.emscogroup.com/images/litera ... LowRes.pdf

Mguenette
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:. A city picker is a commercial SIP container. It does have wheels to make it more mobile. But a rubbermaid tub. Actually 2 ruber maid tubs are cheaper than one city picker.

According to the city picker website you can grow two tomatoes in it. It has a two gallon reservoir and when a tomato is in fruit it can use more than that in a day. The 24x20 inch city picker sold at home depot has a 2 gallon reservoir. Plant spacing for tomatoes is 24 inches. Plant spacing for peppers is 12-18 inches apart. There should be enough space but I would just plant one large plant. When I grew tomatoes in 18 gallon self watering containers. I had a 5 gallon reservoir and 10 gallons of soil for one plant and the reservoir was full of roots by the end of the tomato growing season. I only planted indeterminates. I did plant peppers and determnate tomatoes in 5 gallon self watering containers. They did o.k. I did not try to grow an indeterminate in a small SIP. I did not use lime and I did not have BER. Part of that may be that the reservoir was filled daily so it never went dry and I grow heat resistant tomatoes which have fewer problems with BER.
https://www.emscogroup.com/images/litera ... LowRes.pdf
Thanks! I'll probably just put one plant in it. I have a cherry tomato and patio tomato plant together in another city picker, but they're both determinate. I've done well with two of those together before.

applestar
Mod

I think a determinate tomato and a jalapeño would be a better combo. Pepper's don't take up much root space.

When the Determinate is done, cut the tomato plant at soil level, supplement some fertilizer, and the jalapeño can have the rest of the box or maybe that would be a good time (summer heat winding down) to sow some cilantro, basil, or greens. Maybe radish and onion bottoms.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”