BGXtreem3
Newly Registered

Eggplant Leaves Damaged

IMG_20170515_195431_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170515_195603_HDR.jpg
Has anyone experienced their eggplant leaves curling up or forming incorrectly like in the photos? I started these from seeds and they're grown indoors under lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi!

What kind of potting medium do you have them in?

ANY chance (and I do mean even the tiniest amount of drift) that they were exposed to any type of herbicide? Roundup, weed-n-feed, anything like that?

It looks like herbicide exposure to me. That picture is pretty spot on for the look of it. Sometimes manures from animals that ingest herbicide treated grain (like roundup ready corn and soy, and treated hay) contain the herbicides. The manures are then used to make bagged potting mixes and garden soils. It can also come from treated "greens" and "browns" in compost, and ALSO from treated wheat straw mulch. (I just see dirt in your pics, thought!)

I've had this in my own garden from neighbors, and utility workers that refuse to discontinue roundup around the meters and power lines around my house. It's infuriating. Potting soil manufacturers likes don't even know (or likely don't care about anything but profit) they are the reason for the plants to behave like that.

I'm my own experience, my plants did not recover. I seem to remember someone digging up and replanting with better potting soil last year, who had recovery of her tomato plants... so maybe possible!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

P.S. Any new growth on the plant is gonna be deformed as well until the source is removed. (Pretty likely it's the potting mix)

I do NOT think this is any kind of thrip damage, or physiological leaf roll. This is obvious leaf growth deformation. Could be viral, but it's just such a match to my own experience with this... I don't think its viral.

You can check for thrips by tapping the plants over a white, water-filled bowl. They'll fall in and you can ID them.

P.P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Lindsay

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”