Serj
Newly Registered

What's wrong with my cucumbers & zucchini

I keep having issues with my cucumbers and zucchini. I give them plenty of water. Can some one point me to the right direction?

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

applestar
Mod

I think they were initially sunburned because they were not used to / acclimated to the full sun. They are also prone to transplant shock when roots are disturbed or if they had become too big in small containers. They should be OK once they settle in and new leaves begin to grow -- has it been a week?

For future reference, be sure to water them well and fill the planting holes with water just before transplanting, slip out of the container making minimum contact with the roots (try to hold the dirtball rather than the bare roots) and plop in the watered hole, fill half way with soil and fill the hole with water again, then mound up the soil to just below the lowest pair of true leaves (bury the seedleaves).

imafan26
Mod

I usually direct seed cucumbers and zucchini. Vegetables don't like getting set back and cukes and zukes germinate quickly so there is not a lot of advantage to starting them early.

Mine gets those white marks on the old leaves too. Most of the time, I have to look for pests under the leaves. Sometimes though if the other leaves are o.k. I just take them off and dispose of them.

The other thing to remember is that plant don't always grow out of their pot. If the soil in your container is drastically different from the soil in the ground and especially if you don't score or tease some of the roots out, sometimes the plant still thinks it is in a pot and stunts because it does not venture into the native soil. It sometimes helps to dig a bigger hole and mix some of the potting mix with the soil to ease the transition. I also put a cache of fertilizer at the bottom of the hole and cover it with an inch of soil. When the roots hit the cache, the growth spurts.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Avoid transplanting cukes and squash. Go out in the garden and plant the seeds where they will remain and grow for the full season. Full sun if possible.

Serj
Newly Registered

Thank you for all the advice. I will keep those tips in mind next time.

Serj
Newly Registered

What could be causing my soil to look brownish. I use city water to water the garden. Could that be the issue?
Thank you again.
Attachments
RenderedContent-FB0942FE-33AC-4617-8A63-883B2BFF9B60.JPG
RenderedContent-A6E8C8A3-A477-442C-8E2A-8C248BCD5399.JPG

applestar
Mod

That could be from minerals and salts in the soil.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Soils are made up of a mixture of clay, silt and sand, plus organic matter and a host of living organisms. The different colors we may get are dependent on the colors of the clay, silt and sand they are made of. :)

Meatburner

Serj, where are you located. That is a huge information to know. It is just now time to plant those from seeds directly in the garden here.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”