frediorio
Newly Registered

hardening off plants.

hi I am new to vegetable gardning and I am at the hardening off stage. I wanted to know how much I should water the plants and how long I should keep them outside for before I can put them into a raised garden bed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends on what your weather is like. If it is mild, not a whole lot of temp difference between indoors and out, then they just have to get adjusted to the bright sun and it doesn't take as long (but still at least five days). If outdoors is a whole lot colder/hotter than indoors, very dry or very windy, then it will take longer.

Water them as usual, but don't let them dry out between waterings.

When I first bring plants out, I put them in some very protected space with no direct sun and no wind. Day by day I gradually increase their exposure. If it is still very cold where you are, especially if there's any danger of frost, you might have to bring them back in at night. ( it always helps to tell us where you are located. There are hardly any garden questions that can be discussed without regard to location/ climate. )

frediorio
Newly Registered

I live in new york. right now the weather is in the low 50's to 60's during the day .

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It would help to let us know what type of plants you are growing?

Here about the only things we start then later transplant are the tomatoes and peppers. Everything else seems to do quite well planted from seed where it will remain for the season.

Yes, keep them watered. Put them out in late afternoon for a couple of hours of sun. Increase the amount of time in the sun over the next few days.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Damn video at bottom of page keeps forcing me too LOOK at it. I have to type on word pad then copy and paste it here. Impossible to type fast enough to keep from looking at that video 30 times.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

message webmaster. I have talked to him about this problem before.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”