gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Got the soybeans picked

I went outside and decided to take the soybeans I grew for edamame for the wife and I. I got a 5 gallon bucket full of beautiful beans that I have already washed off and am getting ready to blanch them in the salted water I use before storing them in freezer bags for later consumption. I was surprised at the amount of beans I had and am very happy with the results-----and so is the Mrs. Oh, and believe it or not, so does our cat. She will eat a dozen or more pods, and considering her size, that is quite a lot of soybeans.

applestar
Mod

Oooh sounds yummy! I can't even sow them yet. haha

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

We had such a mild winter I decided to give it a shot and planted them around mid February and it has paid off. It is nice to have them harvested before the summer heat gets here. I just finished blanching them and they are cooling to be packed away in the freezer. That amount should last a good while even if the wife brings some to work a few times a month.

Now, if I can just keep the cat from getting in the freezer. She has been tearing them up as the wife gives them to her.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

How many plants got you the 5 gal of edamame, gumbo? Just curious what to expect from my plants.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I planted about 250 seeds and surprisingly, almost all of them came up. My row was only about 30 ft. long and I double planted it. I hilled the row, flattened the top about 2 ft. wide and planted the beans about 3 inches apart in rows about 1 ft. apart. That was one of my better harvests for such a short bit of row. I had about the same quantity last year on a 45 ft. row.

imafan26
Mod

I usually only plant a couple of plants. This year though, I only planted pole beans. I have been picking them for about 3 days now and I still don't have enough for a meal yet. I get about 5 or 6 beans a day. But, I do have only about 9 plants in a pot.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I usually only plant a couple of plants. This year though, I only planted pole beans. I have been picking them for about 3 days now and I still don't have enough for a meal yet. I get about 5 or 6 beans a day. But, I do have only about 9 plants in a pot.

I've probably picked 10 pounds of bush beans so far and notice they are slowing down right now and seem to be nearing the end of their cycle. What I don't give away to neighbors and friends, I cook down with some ham, chicken stock, onions and garlic and freeze in quart bags for later use and I also put up several quarts of pickled green beans I use in salads and cocktails.

Now I have Japanese Yard Longs starting to come in. I have roughly 20 ft. worth of trellis with Yard Longs climbing them between 2 locations in my garden. Many of those will be grilled or cooked down and saved, plus the usual quantity going out to the above mentioned friends and neighbors. The look on people's faces when they first see the yard longs is almost priceless.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”