jasonvanorder

Too Late for cold weather crops?

I'm running way behind this spring and don't have a single thing in the ground yet. Got some cold weather crops that probably should have gone in a couple weeks ago. The weather forcast is for below normal temps for the next couple weeks. Am I too late or should they be fine if I get them in in the next week or so. Also I'm in zone 6A

applestar
Mod

It depends on what they are, in what form -- seeds, plants -- and moreover, what the early summer temperature will be like a month from now. Sometimes you can extend the season for cool weather plants by planting them where they will get some shade from the taller summer stuff and/or watering more and consistently, too.

I'm in a similar situation -- just finished planting overgrown lettuces and Asian greens started from seeds, seed potatoes that had sprouted, and onion sets some getting soft and others sprouting. Still have more stuff in the garage as well.

The way I see it, if plants or growing already, plant them before they die, if seeds, then try some but maybe plan on trying to grow them as fall crop later. Make provisions for them to avoid the sunniest, hottest part of the garden which will be appreciated by the warm weather crop anyhow.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am going to say: PLANT!

Yearoundgardener
Newly Registered

Depends on which "Cool Weather " Crops you have in mind?
I live in SC on the NC border, and I have been planting cool weather crops as late as Apr 22(Seeds), and still planting more.
Too late for Peas, & Spinach, Broccoli plants ok, Asian greens ok, Cauliflower iffy, head lettuce too late, leaf & Romaine ok.
IF you like greens, try Komatsuna, a Japanese Mustard spinach that grows large tasty leaves in about 35 days.
I eat a lettuce salad almost every night, and I have been using 60% chopped Komatsuna to 40% lettuce, and it tastes like all lettuce! Seeds N Such is a source!

jasonvanorder

Well spent all weekend filling the beds so now I can plant. We have a freeze warning for last night but we should be in the clear from here on out. Calling for daytime temps in the mid 60s with lows in the 40s for the next few weeks

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”