Wej

Thin corn?

Hi all,
2 weeks ago I planted 4" corn seedlings. They came from the nursery in 6 pack containers with 3 plants per square. I left all 3 plants in each square and planted the squares into the ground 12" apart. My question is, do I need to thin the 3 per square down to 1? If so, should I just cut 2 of them away so I don't mess with the roots?
Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wej wrote:Hi all,
2 weeks ago I planted 4" corn seedlings. They came from the nursery in 6 pack containers with 3 plants per square. I left all 3 plants in each square and planted the squares into the ground 12" apart. My question is, do I need to thin the 3 per square down to 1? YES If so, should I just cut 2 of them away so I don't mess with the roots? YES
Thanks

Wej

Outstanding, thank you!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn is a big plant so it needs some space to grow. It also benefits from having company so the ears get pollinated right. The problem with a single row is that often pollination does not get done well and you end up with ears having spotty kernels developed. I always suggest planting three rows of corn spaced 30 inches apart. Get seed and plant the seed where it will grow up. No transplanting on corn.

Hey, if you have not thinned these, I would just let them all grow. Like I say, they need company.

Wej

Thanks Jal ut! Agreed on the pollination. I do have 4 rows of 8 plantings so I thought I'd be ok with pollinating even if I thin the heard. I haven't done it yet tho. Thought I'd do it tomorrow when I plant my 2nd round of corn.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I once tried planting a 12 foot square plot of corn. I put about 150 corn seeds on that plot. It came up and got tall, but the only corn that had any ears on it was the plants on the edges. Those plants inside just made tall stalks, but no ears. Now days I use a little garden two wheeled planter to plant corn. It drops a seed or two about every 8 inches. I took masking tape and plugged every other hole so it just drops seed every 16 inches. No thinning. Always plant three rows, (or more). This has been working well for me.

Wej

Wish I had your nice sized plot of garden land!

imafan26
Mod

My entire yard could fit in James' plot. I wish I had more too. But not that big. James has a tractor, I would have to do that by hand so a 20x20 plot all in one place, preferably in my yard would be nice but not practical.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the reminder....... so today I went out and planted corn. Got out the Troy-bilt tiller and shallowly tilled up the weeds then planted. We will see how it does? Its a nice day sunny and 73 degrees.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: "My entire yard could fit in James' plot."

I am on a two acre lot. I plowed up some of it for garden space. My lot is at 5000 ft elevation. We do have winter here. My growing season is from mid May till first of October. Perhaps 110 days?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”