mndvrmtt
Newly Registered

Are my spaghetti squash seedlings going to die??

Hi all. I'm a first time vegetable gardener and I planted a little bit of everything for variety. While 90% of my seedlings look great, I noticed my spaghetti squash are all fallen. They look healthy, but they are not standing up. Is this normal when they get heavy? I also have butternut and pumpkin planted, and neither of them have fallen.

*EDIT*
They are indoors and under lights. I have another 3 weeks before I can move them outdoors. Every spaghetti squash (SQ) plant is 'fallen' but my other varieties of squash are not. The SQ are a bit bigger than the rest so I'm hoping they just fall once they are so big and start to grow sideways? I read somewhere they are a vine type of plant.
Last edited by mndvrmtt on Wed May 03, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the Forum! Pictures always help! It is very hard to know from a one-word description ("fallen") whether or not your seedlings are healthy and what is going on with them. Are they outdoors in the ground, in pots, indoors under lights? Where are you located and what has your weather been like?

If you are willing to come back and give some essential information, we can probably help....

mndvrmtt
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Welcome to the Forum! Pictures always help! It is very hard to know from a one-word description ("fallen") whether or not your seedlings are healthy and what is going on with them. Are they outdoors in the ground, in pots, indoors under lights? Where are you located and what has your weather been like?

If you are willing to come back and give some essential information, we can probably help....
Thank you.. I have done so!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mndvrmtt wrote:
rainbowgardener wrote:Welcome to the Forum! Pictures always help! It is very hard to know from a one-word description ("fallen") whether or not your seedlings are healthy and what is going on with them. Are they outdoors in the ground, in pots, indoors under lights? Where are you located and what has your weather been like?

Thank you.. I have done so!
??

where??

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Squash and pumpkin vines all lay down on the ground when they get some length. Its is normal.

applestar
Mod

Looks like you edited your first post -- I only saw the edited version but it's still a bit hard to discern the actual condition. Photos would help but description-wise how many leaves do they have? As jal_ut said they would start to vine after a while but should not be that far along in pots with so many days to planting out.

If your seedlings just have elongated seed stem to the first pair of (seed) leaves, and they fell over because that part of the stem is weak, either gently hold them up so the plant is not resting on the sharp rim of the pot and fill to the top with more potting mix, or simply bury the part laying down if sufficient room in the pot.

If these squash seedlings are already beyond the diameter of the pot, the will become stressed from constricted root space and you may be in trouble -- squash does not transplant easily when roots are disturbed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”