wisconsindead

Zone 5b - Too Late to plant Snow Peas?

Anyone have experience with these? Haven't had the time, could plant them this weekend, but not sure if its too late now... :x

applestar
Mod

Most snowpeas take longer to get to the blooming stage/maturity -- 72-75days last time I looked, but I had some success growing them later by planting them where they would get some shade. They don't like the blazing mid afternoon sun. Also try mulching heavily and/or planting something that will cast a shadow at the base of the plant so the soil stays cooler and doesn't dry out.

If you are getting the seeds now, look for earlier varieties. I did try this one because it's supposed to be earlier:
PEA, CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE (65 days) (HEIRLOOM) (Superseeds)
-- but so far I haven't had success I think because it really doesn't like hot weather.

Is you summer very hot in Wisconsin? I'm a bit surprised by that if so. Because if you have cooler summers, 70's to low 80's, peas should grow fine even planted later.

If you really need to beat the heat, there are sugar snap peas, which can be harvested younger like snowpeas with edible tender pods, but with available (dwarf) varieties that mature much earlier.

wisconsindead

Thanks Apple star. The summers can get pretty hot. Or at least we can have spells of intense heat. The variety I habe is high mowing seeds dwarf grey snow peas which says 57 days. I'm gonna give it a shot unless others suggest it really is futile.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”