ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Viable Option for Building Grow lights?

Stumbled across this looking for way to grow plants in my little 2.5 gallon, desktop beta tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EYC3obFY4w

Would this be a viable approach to grow lights with just red and blue LED strip lights?
Thinking about using something like this for seed starting and plant rearing.

Sort of thinking two 4' versions of those and a row of daylight CFLs (or a mix or 6 and 6.5 k high powered LEDS) down the middle. Then box the whole thing in with silver mylar 'space blankets' backed with something.

Thanks much.
Last edited by ID jit on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about the light, but only a few plants can tolerate the excess humidity of an aquarium. Look for terrarium plants.

ID jit
Green Thumb

No aquariums involved.... just wondering if the light structure and technique would be viable. Have the wavelengths most plants need the most tucked away somewhere. It's a surprising small set of ranges.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

maybe I didn't understand: " grow plants in my little 2.5 gallon, desktop beta tank." That's not an aquarium/ fish tank?

ID jit
Green Thumb

The little 2.5 is a money & time pit of a fish tank all right. Grow plants under water in a tiny environment isn't as easy as I though it would be, especially while keeping the water quality good enough for the sole betta,

Probably wasn't clear enough about wonder if light fabrication technique would work for basic seed starting and plant rearing grow lights. (Amended original question.)

Pretty sure I have everything needed to build at least one constant current driver on hand. The drivers themselves are fairly easy to build: stray PC power supply, an adjustable switching regulator and some wire,

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”