Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Growing Okra just for the seeds.

I had an 18 ft row of okra last summer these are the 6 lbs of seeds from that row. We had more fried okra than we could eat so I just stopping picking it and let it all go to seed. I harvested all the dry pods about Halloween and let them dry out better in the garage. I harvested the seeds from the pods in January. This year I was thinking about growing okra just for the seeds I think we can eat them like dried beans in soup and stew maybe chili too. Alpha sprouts and bean sprouts are both good on sandwiches and in salads I wonder if okra sprouts are good too? Has anyone tried eating okra seeds?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've eaten tons of okra in my lifetime, but never thought about drying the pods, collecting the seeds and trying to eat just them the ways you have described. I see no reason why some, or all of it could not work out well, or at least be a good experiment.

The only one I have any reservations about is the sprout idea, but who knows. You just may be onto the next health food craze.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-foo ... az10aszraw

Report back how it works for you. I've never grown okra, because I don't like to eat it. But it is something that would handle our hot summers and if the seeds are edible and nutritious, it might be worth growing for that...

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I've never seen okra seeds described as sprouting seeds. Aside from possibility of toxic germination enzymes, to be good sprouting seeds, the seeds must soften enough and the seed husk needs to be tender or de-husk easily to eat raw -- as well as the seed root, of course. Or the seeds must cook/soften relatively quickly in a stir fry, etc. to retain the beneficial nutrients.

Unlike beans and peas or nuts that are soft(ish) when freshly shelled and don't harden until dried, Okra seeds become inedibly hard in the fresh pods when "overmature" -- they were already liken to BB's in that stage if I remember correctly. I really think you could shoot and hurt with dried mature okra seeds. Do they really soften at all even after soaking?

On the other hand, fully sprouted okra have those big fleshy seedleaves -- have you ever tried eating them when thinning okra? -- I admit I never have so I have no idea. I wonder if they are tender enough raw or cooked? If they are and they are tasty/not toxic, they might be good as microgreens rather than sprouts.

(When I say toxic, I mean something in the order of giving you a stomachache or diarrhea at most.)

imafan26
Mod

Okra isrelated to hibiscus and some hibiscus are edible like roselle. Okra is a mallow. It is worth investigating. I like okra deep fried or steamed with lemon and soy sauce. It is slimy and you have to be able to get used to that, but it tastes better than bitter melon. It is great for thickening soups.

Since the pods and leaves of okra are edible. It would make sense the spouts would be too. It would be something to check out with a nutritionist.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When okra pods reach a length of about 6" seeds are full grown and pods are too hard to slice and eat. Peal the pods open like a banana seeds are in rows easy to push out with your finger onto a bowl. The soft seeds taste like soft garden beans before they dry out and become hard, okra seeds can probably be used to make Tofu. I have put soft young okra seeds in salads, soup and stew. When okra seeds dry out they are hard as dried beans, I have no clue if soaking dry okra seeds over night in water if seeds get soft like beans or not.

When I was a kid we use to eat soy beans right out of the field. I read online dry soy beans have a hard shell that will not soften seeds are crushed and put in boiling water then soy liquid is strained off leaving the hard shells behind.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

https://www.instructables.com/id/Coffee-From-Okra-Seeds/

Here's an interesting possible use. I've been making my morning coffee for about the last 3 years using about 1/3 chicory that I grind right in with the coffee beans. Why not okra seeds?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”