JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Never, ever...I mean EVER...let garlic chives go to seed...

...in your garden. Never.

Unless you want to become a professional garlic chive produce for the tri-state area. In that case, it's pretty much all you have to do.

applestar
Mod

Too late :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you know what? I have found that the garlic chives "scapes" and flowers and even tender immature seedpods can be harvested -- just get them before they turn into mature seeds :wink:

...BTW I have wanted to create "plant communities" (Parmaculture concept) around my fruit trees, but there is a drip-line zone under fruit trees that I have more or less decided there's nothing you can grow because you end up trampling them. I toss the garlic chives seeds in that area so if they sprout and grow, they become garlicky repellant. I know it's working when I'm taking care of the fruit trees (pruning, thinning, spraying (milk and aact solutions) and I smell the trampled garlic chives underfoot.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I noticed yesterday my garlic and onions are making tops that look like bulbs? I think this crazy early hot spring weather did it. Weather man says it is going to be 89 degrees here today.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I noticed yesterday my garlic and onions are making tops that look like bulbs? I think this crazy early hot spring weather did it. Weather man says it is going to be 89 degrees here today.
Like flowering? I'm seeing that in some green onions that overwintered. I'm actually kind of excited about that because my bees are coming Sunday and bees seem to love onion flowers....

Sarahly818
Newly Registered

Tell me about it... the house we purchased has this lovely vegetable garden. The previous owners let the chives and onions run wild. They are EVERYWHERE. Even after tilling and digging them out they are still emerging from the unknown depths to my growing frustration!

imafan26
Mod

I guess I don't have that problem. The garlic chives clump gets larger but I actually don't get a lot of blooms. When I do, the flowers are edible too. I have collected a few seeds but not a lot. I only had one volunteer garlic chive, so I guess where they are planted is not so hospitable.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I know what you mean, Jay Poc! I had a clump of garlic chives, as well as regular chives, in my herb garden, and both would flower in spring, and the garlic chives again, in late summer. The regular chives never spread, but the garlic chives were all over! I actually didn't mind, and eventually dug the garlic chives up from the garden, and used them from weed clumps! Seems they didn't really hang around in the lawn, but against fences, and behind my shed.

However, last season I used Weed Zap on them - an organic vegetation killer - after getting word about a pest in my area - the Allium Leaf Miner. I didn't want all of those chives as an attractant, and this year I covered my garlic and regular chives with Agribon. I didn't get it in anything last season, but it was found in PA, and in some NJ counties, so I didn't take any chances. I was surprised that I only found two small clumps of garlic chives this spring - that Weed Zap is not a systemic weed killer, so I figured that I would have to reapply it all over. It really worked well!

Here's info on that bug: https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Protect/P ... MINER.aspx

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”