jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The Moon

Tonight's Moon:

Do you pay any attention to the phase of the moon for planting?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And tonight is actually the full moon! Beautiful picture!

No, never really have paid attention to moon phases for planting. It's enough for me to try to find the time to plant when the time is right, temperature is right, I have the time, it isn't raining, etc....

imafan26
Mod

I do, whenever something fails to come up it has often been because I planted during a barren time.

HonoluluGirl

Barren time?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

The moon...I see. I was hesitant to click your post because I thought you were talking about my neighbor who works in his flower bed on all fours with loose britches.... LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

imafan26
Mod

Funny Jay. :-()
The moon calendar also works for fishing. The barren days are not good for planting,but good for weeding.
I usually know it is ok to plant most things in the second and third week of the month. I get mixed results when planting in the 4th week of the month so I try to avoid it. I do the same things as the other times of the month, but I just don't seem to get as much germination then.

The phases of the moon and astrological signs go back across all cultures for thousands of years. Some of it is folklore but obviously some of it was based on experience. I learned from my Chinese friend that the full moon occurs in the middle of the month usually around the 14th or 15th day. The new cycle begins and ends with the new moon. It technically is a full moon, if you were on the other side of the moon.
https://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html
https://farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nothin to do with the moon. A pic I took this morning. Went to Salt Lake City to pick up package bees.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Many calendars used to have the phases of the moon on the calendar. None of the calendars I have this year have that info on them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”