First Frost

Heres some specs

Zone 7A
Last frost April 14th according to some sites, based on my zip code

Farmers Almanac
PHILADELPHIA INTL AP, PA climate station
Last Spring Frost (50% Probability) April 6th
First Fall Frost (50% Probability) November 4th

Farmers Almanac (according to my zip code)
Neshaminy Falls, PA climate station
Last Spring Frost (50% Probability) April 22nd
First Fall Frost (50% Probability) October 18th

I was planning on checking the 10 day Saturday the 8th and if we are at or above 40°F I'm gonna go for it. My original plan was to wait until the 14th and check the 10 day but these guys are getting huge.

I don't think these guys can wait another week.

applestar
Mod

Well... hold off on the peppers and basils. Tomatoes will need protection while still in the low 40's at night.
I see what looks like parsley -- that can go out... and the rosemary as long as no frost. What are those with big leaves in the back (pink cups)?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Well... hold off on the peppers and basils. Tomatoes will need protection while still in the low 40's at night.
I see what looks like parsley -- that can go out... and the rosemary as long as no frost. What are those with big leaves in the back (pink cups)?
They may be the Black Beauty Eggplant.

Here's whats in that pic
  • California Wonder
  • Anaheim
  • Corno Di Toro Giallo
  • Jalapeno
  • Ruby King
  • Tabasco
  • Poblano
  • Ghost Chili
  • Datil
  • Basil
  • Black Beauty Eggplant
  • Black Vernissage Tomato
  • Brandywine Red Tomato
  • Celebrity Tomato
  • Cherokee Purple Tomato
  • Abe Lincoln Tomato
  • Box Car Willie Tomato
  • Indigo Blue Berries Tomato
  • Matts Wild Cherry Tomato
  • Parsley
  • Patio Princess Tomato Determinate
  • Leeks
  • Sprite Tomato Determinate
  • Marigold
I knew I was jumping the gun, I'm just so antsy to get these buggers planted

I decided to hold off, the weather looks iffy. I will probably put out the Parsley Sunday.

They were brought in for the next few days and will put them out for hardening off again.

Next week, I will check the "10 day", and hopefully plant the following weekend (15th).

It stormed like crazy when I was at work and although they were under the deck I knew that they would be swimming, thankfully my daughter was home and I had her toss them in the work shop.
When I got home I removed all the plants from the tray and poured out the 1" of water :shock:
They're safely under the grow lights again.

Well at least my Hugel Beds are lovin' the rain!

I'm ready to be done with these seedlings :D

applestar
Mod

Yeah -- hate these ups and downs this time of the year. I have some nearly pushing at the lights too. They won't fit once Uppotted.

Looking at your list, I realized I forgot to start Matt's Wild... well, maybe some will volunteer. I have my cross breeding project segregates that may have MW in them though.

Oh -- Leeks can go out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Forget about zone numbers observe and learn what your weather does year after year where you live. I think I might possible may could be in zone 74 but I'm not sure. LOL.

Where I live in TN sometimes we have no frost after April 1st and sometimes last frost is May 1st but typically last frost is some place near April 15th. I till my garden when the weather gets dry enough to till. I always plant tomatoes and pepper plants first they do not like cold weather 45 or below and are extremely sensitive to frost so they need to be covered if it frosts. Weather here is in the upper 70s and 82 tomorrow and in the 40s at night. Seeds like, beans, squash, melons, corn need to be planted when the soil is 65 degrees or warmer I stick a thermometer 2" into the soil to see if it is warm enough yet. My cold weather crops were planted a month ago, potatoes, lettuce, kale, chard, bok choy, carrots, beats, onions, garlic, herbs not including basil. I will not plant basil until May.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:Forget about zone numbers observe and learn what your weather does year after year where you live. I think I might possible may could be in zone 74 but I'm not sure. LOL.

Where I live in TN sometimes we have no frost after April 1st and sometimes last frost is May 1st but typically last frost is some place near April 15th. I till my garden when the weather gets dry enough to till. I always plant tomatoes and pepper plants first they do not like cold weather 45 or below and are extremely sensitive to frost so they need to be covered if it frosts. Weather here is in the upper 70s and 82 tomorrow and in the 40s at night. Seeds like, beans, squash, melons, corn need to be planted when the soil is 65 degrees or warmer I stick a thermometer 2" into the soil to see if it is warm enough yet. My cold weather crops were planted a month ago, potatoes, lettuce, kale, chard, bok choy, carrots, beats, onions, garlic, herbs not including basil. I will not plant basil until May.
I still use the zone as a reference and observing the weather is a rollercoaster ride from one year to the next. I've seen snow in late may. But as a general rule we would always plant Mothers Day, I now feel this is way too late and like to get a jump on the season. I am now trying to plant as close to the Last Frost Date (15th) as possible. I checked the 10 day and lowest looks to be 44°F. The 10 day will be bring me to the 20th.
I'm with you on the basil, that will go in Mothers Day
Tomato, pepper and eggplant Plants will go in this evening, today is gonna be warm 82°F and tomorrow 74°F, but cloudy and chance of rain, I'm hoping that the overcast days will help the transplants. We will see!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I have 2 gardens at different elevations, both in the same zip code, and neither one agrees with what the zip code says the zone should be, or what the first and last frost dates should be. Around here, we have a lot of elevation differences that have major effects.

In the end, like Gary says, we just gotta look at what our own little microclimate does over a period of years. Sometimes even within our own gardens, some areas will more consistently freeze while others won't. (at least in my crazy garden) :eek: (is there an icon for befuddled?)

imafan26
Mod

Timing is hard to get right. I have problems too without frost. Sometimes I have to divide my seeds and plant them over 2-3 weeks and hope some of them will be ready on time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”