LoveGAIA7
Newly Registered

Brussel Sprouts have white substance never seen before

I just got organic brussel sprouts from the market. When I got home immediately began to wash and cut them.... but noticed lots of powdery "spots"/chunks in the leaves even multiple leaves in.... is this dangerous to consume? Idk how far in it will continue to be and I don't want to pull a part every brussel ...

I had read to not ingest plants w any kind of fungus even after washing to the best of ability. So I'm nervous to eat them but I got a few bags and it's going on w all of them

Do you know what this substance is?
I though perhaps powdery mildew but it's all within the Brussels. When I touch the little chunks / flakes it turns to powder but immediately disintegrates upon touch ... this is the case just like this even multiple leaves in where they are tightly layered... is it mold or fungus? Is it toxic to ingest?
Attachments
IMG_7794.PNG

applestar
Mod

To me, it sounds like some kind of powdery substance that had been "dissolved" or "suspended" in water that had re-solidified -- I'm sure there is a proper chemistry term for this.

White powdery substance that I can think of used in organic gardening for Brussels sprouts are -- Bt, ground diatomaceous earth, Epsom salts, Surround kaolin clay.

The difficulty is in the way it sounds like the substance is in the interior of the Brussels sprouts. I think I would submerge them in plenty of water. They should float, so put something on top to push them under, but use plenty of water so if the substance will sink, there is enough room. Swish around (filling the container with the sprouts in it with sink sprayer hose if you have it so the water swirls in might be a good idea) and then let the swim for about 20 minutes, then lift out in case there are stuff on the bottom of the bowl/tub/pot and put in a colander to drain. Then inspect and see if you find more of the stuff.

Hopefully not.

LoveGAIA7
Newly Registered

I like the way you think! From the way it looks on the majority, I think you are right, it was just strange to find it so many leaves in, and not having had brussel sprouts in so long I would hate to just compost them without enjoying them!
I will fully submerge the ones I haven't cut up already and give em a swirl and hope I can indulge after!! Thank you for such a quick response!! Love and blessings friend

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I wouldn't hesitate though to just go back to the market and show the produce manager and ask if they have any idea what it is, and if it's normal or not.

I bought some grapes once that had a "white powdery substance" on them and asked the produce guy about it. This was decades ago and I can't even remember what was his explanation, but seemed like it was something harmless; I just washed it off.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”