JackieStix
Newly Registered

My cat ate the tops of my baby plants!

Hi!
My baby vegetable plants got their first sun exposure from my mini-greenhouse and my cat at the tops of most of them. I was wondering if they will still be able to grow or should I toss them and start over.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmmm, do you want a cat, or do you want a garden?

If the node where the seed leaves were is still there, they will send out new shoots.

JackieStix
Newly Registered

haha I'd like both. Fortunately I have a room I can close off to them until they are big enough to move out doors. He ate the ENTIRE top so I'm going to assume that there no good then. :( He seemed to favor the radishes so fortunately my whole crop isn't destroyed.

applestar
Mod

What kind of vegetable seedlings were they? I think it will depend on what they were. Some will re-grow like jal_ut said, but some are just easy to start over from seeds, and others may be too set back that you have missed your chance -- where do your live?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

JackieStix wrote:haha I'd like both. Fortunately I have a room I can close off to them until they are big enough to move out doors. He ate the ENTIRE top so I'm going to assume that there no good then. :( He seemed to favor the radishes so fortunately my whole crop isn't destroyed.
Looks like Applestar's response came just a minute or 2 after your post! Anyway, with radishes they sprout so fast, (2 or 3 days) I would just go ahead and replant them. You'll only be a few days behind!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"haha I'd like both"

Just replant. Radishes come on fast. We have three cats hanging out around here. They are outdoor cats. We do not let them in the house, though they can come in the garage and usually spend the night in the garage. They are free to roam the yard and garden. They do seem to help keep the lil rodents down. Though I have seen them nibbling on plants now and then, they have not been a problem with the garden plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”