Smallfarm45
Newly Registered

New to broccoli. Hard freeze on my newly planted broccoli

I planted 6 lutenant broccoli plants early March in southern Ky. They were doing great then we had two or three nights where it got into the teens :eek: . My broccoli plants got nipped with a few leaves being damaged. My question is will they be ok or do I need to replant? I didn't get to cover them due to being out of town. I know they say they are frost resistant but just want to make sure. Thanks! I am also new to the forum!

bri80

Pictures would help determine how damaged they are.

applestar
Mod

According to Southern Exposure's Fall/Winter Gardening Guide :
https://www.southernexposure.com/southe ... zp-38.html

Broccoli (6/1-7/1): 28 degrees - leaves can handle to 15 degrees, but heads are more tender

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The plant is probably ok although some of the leaves may be damaged. But it depends on how well hardened off they were. Sounds like they had been in the ground most of three weeks. If they had been through previous cold nights, even if not that cold, they were probably pretty used to it. If you had just brought tender seedlings out from inside and then this happened, they would have been goners.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Smallfarm45, welcome to the forum. I think your broccoli plants will be OK. They will send out new leaves as soon as it warms up a bit.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My broccoli plants survived 2 weeks of 4 degree weather then a few weeks later 22 degree weather killed my broccoli. Go figure? If you only lost a few leaves per plant your broccoli should be OK. Sprinkle some broccoli seeds in with your plants or buy some more plants if you want, my broccoli does very well planted much closer that is recommended. If you sprinkle 1000 seeds in a small 4'x4' patch when plants get large enough to crowd each other thin them out, start pulling up the tender plants and eating the whole plant they are good in salad.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”