imafan26
Mod

Re: Spring

Time is ticking. I am so far behind. All I have planted so far are beans and snow peas.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You might try the Wando Pea. They have good heat tolerance. Here I can plant them July 5 for a fall crop about first week of September.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It has been in the 70s and 80s here for weeks if it would stop raining I could till the garden but it is still early to plant you can never trust mother nature.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ya, 35 degrees F here this morning and an inch of fresh snow on everything.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

JayPoc, didn't I say recently that you had all the experience necessary to assess the risks of early plantings? Dog gone it! Those once every 10 year events get us in trouble ... if we garden for a decade or more.

The first lawn violets showed up in my yard today. What a pleasant spring day!

Jal_UT, you said somewhere that your daffodils are blooming! I saw some in the neighborhood for the first time, yesterday. Mine aren't quite there but they are in quite a lot of shade. However, I have a couple of those miniature daffies. The flowers are opening on those! I'll try to get a picture, soon ;).
Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Some lawn violets blooming here too, and the grape hyacinths. The bees are lovin the hyacinths. The Pussy Willow tree is blooming and the daffodils. This morning its 44 degrees and overcast. The lawn is just starting to green up. I tilled my garden plot in the fall. Come spring, just go plant.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Each locality will have its own problems, and planting times. I am sure that growing in Location: "hawaii, zone 12a 587 ft elev." is going to be quite different than growing in Northern Utah zone 5, at 5000 ft elevation. After a few years of gardening we will arrive at a planting schedule that will work for us. We don't plant all crops the same day. Early spring we plant the cool weather crops, later the corn beans and squash then later the cucumbers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Other than the lawn violets ... altho' the standard daffodils should bloom soon!
Daffies.jpg
The miniature daffies

digitS'

applestar
Mod

Yep. The mini's and jonquils come up first. The minis are fragrant, too, and were holding up their heads better after heavy rain when I took the photo a couple of days ago. My minis were originally a little Easter gift flower in a 4" pot -- I planted them after Easter and they have spread. :D

My volunteer yellow peach is already blooming -- the grafted cultivar peach is only just starting to show pinkness in the buds (I took photos but they aren't much to look at :P )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”