jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pumpkins Can Be Fun

Plant a couple of pumpkins. They are fun decorations and for Jack-O-Lanterns. I never did care to eat them though. Plant some Hubbard or Banana squash for eating.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Only a few of us have room to plant something that takes up a huge amount of space, that we aren't going to eat. I now have a half acre and still the only way I could do it is if I devoted my whole front yard to one pumpkin plant. I did put a 5x10 veggie bed in the middle of my front lawn at my old house. That wouldn't be nearly enough for a pumpkin plant, but it gave me a ton of tomatoes, peppers, etc. While I do intend to get rid of most of the grass in my current front yard, it won't be to grow one pumpkin.

But enjoy, those of you who have farms. (That might be my new definition of what constitutes a farm: having room enough to grow pumpkins! :) )

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, guess I am a Farmer.......... My current lot is 2 acres. It has a house, and some outbuildings, plus an orchard, (apple, apricot, peach, grapes etc.) perennial beds for asparagus, onions and pie plant. There is also a wild corner where there are trees and bushes planted with the birds in mind. About 3/4 of an acre is plowed up garden space. Yes there is space enough to grow a truckload of pumpkins.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”