jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice Moon

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Moon was bright in the clear sky last night. Our south bedroom window was light up bright all night. Moon is always in the south sky. Full moon is a good night to be camping we are going camping Thursday. It was 29 degrees here last night camp fire will feel good. Hot coffee for breakfast and hot chocolate in the evening next to the camp fire, moon will still be looking good.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Much has been written about planting certain things depending on what the moon is doing. Is there any science in this, or is it all a bunch of HYPE?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yes there is a science to planting by the moon NOVA did a 1 hour TV show about it many years ago. To make a long story short plants grow, taller, bigger, faster during the dark of the moon. If you plant seeds at the correct time so the harvest matures during the dark of the moon you get a better crop.

We just returned home from a camping trip we had a nice moon every night. It rained one night at 2 am while were were sleeping it sure did sound good.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gary350, looks like a nice breakfast coming up? Tks for sharing the pics.

Re the moon. I have been growing things for a good many years and never paid the moon any attention. The calendar, the weather, the soil fertility, the sun and the water all have a big role to play in the gardening process. If you plant the right crop at the right time in good fertile soil and keep it watered and weeded, you will have a good return. I say, never mind the moon. I can't believe the plants ever see enough light from the moon to respond at all to it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Gary350, looks like a nice breakfast coming up? Tks for sharing the pics.

Re the moon. I have been growing things for a good many years and never paid the moon any attention. The calendar, the weather, the soil fertility, the sun and the water all have a big role to play in the gardening process. If you plant the right crop at the right time in good fertile soil and keep it watered and weeded, you will have a good return. I say, never mind the moon. I can't believe the plants ever see enough light from the moon to respond at all to it.

Plants do most of their growing after dark, if it does not get completely dark Moon light stunts the plants growth. If your corn matures by the dark of the moon you get larger ears. If your potatoes mature by the dark of the moon you get larger potatoes. Tests have proven 100 acre fields have a harvest increase of about 5% if they mature by the dark of the moon. The home gardener will never notice that 5% increase in harvest but a farmer that plants 2000 acres will, a typical crop that sells for $200,000. a 5% increase will be $210,000. James, I don't worry about the moon I do like you do plant when the weather is right in the correct soil for each crop with the correct fertilizer for each crop.

applestar
Mod

Is that your winter project camper Gary? Looks like you had great fun! :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Around here its plant garlic in the fall, early crops early to mid April and corn, beans and squash, May 5 and cucumbers June 1. This year we have an unusual warm March, so I have already planted some things that don't often get planted before April. Crazy Utah weather. One never knows, I have seen snow every month of the year here.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Is that your winter project camper Gary? Looks like you had great fun! :D
Yes that is my winter project. It use to look like this.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary, you did a very good job. I can imagine that I could keep track of how to build that wood frame and do okay with the construction. I can't imagine that I would do well with the metal work.

So, it is the absence of moonlight that influences good plant growth :). I know that greenhouses can sometimes have problems with bloom schedules because of street lights. Of course, that is an acre or two and the influence of lights near large acreage might go unnoticed at harvest.

My growing season isn't likely to see the ups and downs it would at higher elevations but daily temperature swings are tolerated differently by different plant species, even different cultivars. Weather and appropriate timing capture most of my attention, especially early in the season. My gardens would probably grow better if I could control cloud cover, both daytime and overnight ;). In fact, I know that they would!

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My summer water supply

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 84 degrees today. We had another big storm about 5 pm. I sat in a chair at the edge of the garage door and watched the storm. Lots of high wind, lots of rain, disappointing only 2 lightning flashes. Across town they had hale wish I was there. Wind blew the roof off 1 of the schools. Semi Truck blew over and smashed a car with people inside. My garden is mud. Typical TN weather we often have rain every day March to June. I need the rain to stop for about 4 days first week of May so I can plant my garden. Zone BR549

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

0.67 inch of rain in the rain gauge this morning. We have had some gusty winds yesterday. Did damage in some areas. At present 38 degrees and calm, raining. Nothing to do out in the yard, guess I will sit here and play on the computer?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”