Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted some of my garden today.

It has been in the 70s here for more than 2 weeks. I stopped at the garden center this morning and to my surprise they have had plants for 2 weeks. I planted 8 broccoli plants, 57 Vidalia onions where I planted onion seed 5 months ago that never came up, and 30 potatoes cuttings with 2 to 4 eyes per piece. NO swiss chard plants so I bought seeds to plant in plant trays. The garden center has more plants coming next week so may I will get rainbow swiss chard plants after all. I won't be planting, tomatoes, corn, beans, melons, squash, peppers, until late April.

I have 7, 4 pack plant trays all in a plastic bag to hold in moisture setting on the dash of the SUV parked facing south to get sun all day. Watch and wait maybe some plants will come up soon in the incubator. LOL.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I managed to get several things in the ground in the past few weeks. I have about 30 ft. of row in soybeans for edamame, the same size row in bush beans, about 40 ft. of row under a trellis for Japanese Yard Long beans and 24 ft. of row under another trellis for pickling and slicing cucumbers. Everything is coming up and reaching for the sky now.

I also put in several bell peppers and eggplant already started and they are taking to their share of the garden nicely.

I have onions, garlic, beets, kale, Swiss Chard and a couple overwintered hot pepper plants doing well, along with some freshly planted herbs to go with what I already have.

The only thing I'm not putting in this year is what I consider a staple. Tomatoes have not done well for me the past couple years between pests, diseases and fungal issues, so they are not going in this year. There is no shortage of locally grown tomatoes in markets and on roadside stands when they are in season, so this year I'm going that route.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow, planting already? Here it is 38 degrees this morning and a foot of snow on the lot. More snow expected this weekend.

"30 potatoes cuttings with 3 to 4 eyes per piece. NO swiss chard plants so I bought seeds to plant in plant trays."

I always cut potatoes to one or two eyes per piece. It seems I get larger spuds if the plants are not crowded.

Chard? I plant chard when I plant beets, about the last week of April here at this locale. It can take some cool weather, but is not as hardy as spinach.

Have fun!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

James it was 28 here yesterday morning and warmed up to 58. This morning it was 30 and warmed up to 64 today. Good time to plant potatoes. Frost may kill the tops but not the plant.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Three inches fresh snow. 21 degrees F, overcast. Guess I won't be planting today.

The Magpie

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

beautiful! I don't think I have ever seen a magpie in real life!

imafan26
Mod

I have no excuse. I am just behind on just about everything. You guys are getting a big jump on me. I do have seedlings planted but I have had to toss some overgrown ones out already since the garden wasn't ready for them in time.

jasonvanorder

The only thing I planted was 2 cloves of garlic from last year that started to sprout. Put them in a pot on the window sill. In a week the shoots when from about 2 inches to 8 inches long. Other than that its still way too cold to put anything else out

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Today sunny and 60 degrees F. The garden had dried enough so that I could get on it without the soil sticking to my feet, so I went out and planted a bit of lettuce and spinach seed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

planted more asparagus today...

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Three straight nights in the 20s around here. COLD COLD. I brought all my little greenhouse plants into the house for warmth. Covered up tomatoes that were in the garden but they "bit the dust"

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It has been 22 degrees here for 3 nights we packed the camper trailer today for a 3 day camping trip starting tomorrow. Mother nature is in charge of my garden until Monday. Camp fire and fill moon will be nice.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”