Beywoods
Newly Registered

Bugs in soil, help identify!!

Hello all! I'm getting ready to sow some lettuce, onion, and spinach plants and started cleaning out my old potting soil and realized these little critters roaming around in the soil. I couldn't get a very good photo of them but please check out the photo I took and help me identify them!!

I'm wondering it they're harmless or if I should be buying some diataceous earth to rid of them.

Some research leads me to believe they are sprintails and I read I should let them be but I want to make sure.... if they are sprintails can I go ahead and sow my seeds?
Attachments
Bug
Bug

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Looks like wasp larva. Did you ever wonder where the wasps go ever winter then return ever summer.

I have lots of Moles in my yard and garden, they EAT, cut worms, wasp larva, termites, ants, roaches, grubs, bugs, slugs, snales, spiders, all insects. Moles are not vegetarians. Moles also till my soil making it nice and soft. A 1 quart glass mason jar in the bottom of a mole tunnel will catch live moles they fall into the jar and can not get out so you can trap they from someone elses yard and move them to your yard. No toxic poisons needed to kill insects.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Springtails do eat some vegetable matter but probably won't damage your crop seed. They will leave the area once the soil dries out more.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”