applestar
Mod

Re: Started first 2017 seeds today

Yep. Lettuce is pretty forgiving. These will be individually planted for heads rather than cut and come again.

I really recommend overwintering hot peppers. You probably don't have space issues? They will manage as long as temps are mid-20's to above freezing. If you keep them in the house at temps comfortable for you and provide supplemental lights, they will bloom and fruit.

For growing during the season -- I'm not sure if the photos links are still working but a while ago, a member (who hasnt been around for a while) - doubledog farm- posted that he hardens off transplants in a large circular metal water tank.

This might be an idea you could adapt for keeping potted peppers sheltered and increasing heat value during the growing season?

applestar
Mod

Txyogagirl
Newly Registered

Applestar thank u for the idea I have lots of container like that. Why do u have what looks like Saran Wrap over them?

applestar
Mod

By this time of winter, indoor humidity is down to 30's % and for me, its too hard to keep the soil mix surface from drying out too much. I use light/loose or vented covers like this until first sign of sprouting then take the covers off.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”