SpringWaterGrower

Black Rot got'em

Well... Black Rot got'em, my broccoli and cabbage look bad. All was going nicely and then a good amount of rain and me being inexperienced in watering + 2 nights of a freeze

Gonna give it 2 days or so, if they don't survive I'll be tapping out and prepping for spring.

Gonna work the soil in a lot more, spread some black cow, make beds, and start some seedlings indoors.

imafan26
Mod

Sorry to hear that. It might be better not to plant cabbages in the same place since it is a water borne illness and can stay in the soil for a year.
https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes ... s/vg16.htm

SpringWaterGrower

I googled some pics and such, that's what it appears to be.

Are there many things that can cause it? I read an abundance of water can

SpringWaterGrower

Here are some pictures I took this am
Attachments
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG

applestar
Mod

Wow you have really sandy soil! The seedlings do look stressed but I don't know what black rot would look like,

What has the temperatures been like? To me the appearance is similar to seedlings that were nearly dried out in freezing or close to freezing temperatures.

SpringWaterGrower

I had 2 nights with 32-26 degree weather. Really moist soil we had 4 inches last week, and also a few days of limited sunshine

I think they're a loss, gonna work the soil and drop some black cow down

imafan26
Mod

Black rot gets bad when it rains a lot. Usually I seeblack spores or rotten cores when they are cut which is more associated with internal tipburn. The fungus is in the soil and I just have to avoid planting cabbage in certain areas or plant them in potting mix in containers. When they affect seedlings, it is either in the soil or you may have gotten contaminated seeds.
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... ers_BR.htm

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”