Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Lets see your garden pantry.

Lots of goodies, corn, beans, tomatoes, herbs, garlic, onions, fruit, juice, etc. I CAN a lot in summer I have a stove outside in the garage to keep the heat out of the house in 100 degree weather. I cook a lot in winter the house can use the extra heat in 20 degree weather. We use to cook every time we eat but now days the kids are gone its just the 2 of us I often cook a pot of stew, soup, beans, chili, sweet & sour sauce, menudo, other sauces, etc. for 10 meals then CAN 9 for the pantry and eat 1. Next time heat and eat, it is fast food. My pressure cooker does 9 pints or 7 quarts. A large batch of pie filling is easy and quick anytime we want an, apple, peach, blackberry, blueberry pie dump a quart of pie filling into the pie shell and put it in the oven it takes about 2 minutes to make a pie. I also have pancake/waffle syrup, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, peach, mixed fruit. There are a few jars of Bread & Butter pickles, mixed vegetable pickles, spicy hot mixed pickled vegetables. Misc items, sweet & sour sauce, enchilada sauce, taco sauce, garlic ginger sauce, catsup. I made Bread last week, we buy a lot of discount bread at the store 50 cents to 99 cents on the discount rack, we love the dark crust 9 grain whole wheat bread.

Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:05 am, edited 7 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

Nice. I don't have a garden pantry. I pretty much either eat things fresh or give them away. I would like to learn how to do preserves, and canning but I don't grow a lot of any one thing to make it worthwhile.

applestar
Mod

Fantastic!
I cant show mine -- for one thing, I don't have such a well-organized pantry :oops: ...plus my stored garden harvests are scattered among freezers, fridge, kitchen cabinet, pantry shelves, and dry stored in other areas, too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

And I'm a mix between all 3 of the prior posters since I do give away a lot of my overages and the stuff I keep, I either consume fresh, freeze it, dehydrate it, or can it for later use. I do have a pantry area in my man cave that I keep all the canned good on wire shelving with about 100 or so quart and pint jars stored on, but I don't have pictures of those, or the proper stuff downloaded on my computer to post them.

I have no problem growing and using the stuff I grow, but I'm a dinosaur when it comes to these machines and a lot of what they are capable of doing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful!

My new first year garden, started in an extreme heat and drought year, did not produce a bounty like that. I have a few jars, some frozen, a bunch of herbs, but not like that.

Some day! For gardeners, next year is always going to be the best year ever!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

We do a similar thing here. It has been a lifelong habit. Mother and Dad always had the cellar shelves stocked. Its a good thing to have some storage against the day you might stub your toe and find yourself out of work and no income for a while. Or worse, a widespread catastrophic event that put all the stores out of service...... no supplies on the shelf to sell. It is common advice here to have two years of food storage.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Some day! For gardeners, next year is always going to be the best year ever!"

Yep! We plant and hope! Last year was one of the worst ever here with a frost on July 5 that wiped out everything except the corn. So we had corn.

2017 is going to be better. Happy New Year!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Fantastic!
I cant show mine -- for one thing, I don't have such a well-organized pantry :oops: ...plus my stored garden harvests are scattered among freezers, fridge, kitchen cabinet, pantry shelves, and dry stored in other areas, too.
Well, that's my excuse, also.

We have 2 refrigerators. One is in the carport and used only during the summer. It has a tiny freezer but lots of shelf space. Everything would be frozen in there right now but it's not a good idea to trust it very late in the fall. The fridge in the house has a standard size freezer - DW always keeps it crammed! There are 2 chest-type freezers in the garage. One is supposed to just be for meat but it often sits empty. They aren't from the garden but we have lots of pasta and rice on hand 365 days out of the year.

Gary, we easily know that you don't have many earthquakes in your part of the world ;).

Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Great pantry Gary! Makes me want to start doing some canning. Most of last years harvest, except for squash and onions, is in the freezer or already eaten. Love the idea of freezing the already made pie fillings. (maybe you need to keep that pantry under lock and key!)

My squash and onions are scattered in a couple of different locations. I read the other day that squash do better stored in about a 65 degree situation; onions do best just above freezing. If this is true, I guess I need to do some rearranging.

imafan26
Mod

like the onions. I can grow a few onions but it is hard in the heat and humidity of summer to cure and store any root vegetables. Most people don't even have cellars. I don't. I have to use all my onions a couple of weeks after they are harvested while they are still sweet. It is the best time to pickle them. After a couple of weeks they get very hot and they rot quickly because they are short day onions. I am a hoarder though and I have no room in the kitchen for my pantry stuff. I have a small mountain of canned and dried goods (I buy, I don't can) and I could probably live a couple of months or more off of that. I have 2 refrigerators and a freezer and they are always packed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”