Spiritofthewild

Choko/Chayote keep rotting!!!

Hey All!

I absolutely LOVE chokos (chayote)! I don't know why since they have practically no flavour, but then again, neither do avacados and they're my favourite food (I eat them whole, like an apple, even though I think I used to be allergic because they used to make my mouth and throat itchy! haha not anymore, but that's another story)

Ive tried growing chokos for the last two years, with no success. Since I cannot buy them where I live, I rely on visitors hunting them down and bringing them out as gifts to me (I live on a station in remote outback Australia, so finding supplies is not easy) and don't have tonnes to experiment with.
I have 4 this year, but it looks like the end bit where they sprout is broken on 2 so I think I only have 2 to play with, and really want to get my technique right before I miss out on yet another year of these strange green delicious blob shaped.... things!

I have tried a few directly in the garden, but they just rotted, and I tried one in a pot which seamed to be going well until I tried to transplant it and it died. Any suggestions? Do I bury them or just sit them on the top? Do I plant it on its side? or stick the 'pointy' end down and the sprout pointing up? Do I need more than one to cross pollinate? I'm guessing not to water TOO much, to stop it rotting, but it should be noted that I live in a very hot, arid part of Australia and we frequently get hot dry days (to weeks) over 40*C (I think that is aprox 109*F) so that usually isn't a big issue for me...

cheers for any help
Mel

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I grew them for quite a few years at my other house when I first got into gardening. I always planted 2 of them almost side by side in the center of the area I wanted them to grow and attach to a fence that divided my property from my neighbors with the understanding he could have his fill of them when they matured.

I planted them stem side down with the larger part of the plant just poking above ground level. My soil was good and rich since my house was within a couple blocks of the Mississippi River and the soil in that area of town was simply amazing for growing things.

We don't call them Chayote here, but rather the Cajun term "mirliton" and the way most people use them is to boil them until tender, cut them in half and remove the large seed from the center, scoop out a good bit of the flesh being careful to not break the outer skin like you would for twice baked potatoes. Then cook down some finely diced onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and whatever seasonings you prefer, add the pulp to the seasonings, then add some shrimp, crabmeat, or both to the pot. Then add some bread crumbs(I prefer Italian Style) and maybe some cheese like parmesan if you like. Stuff this mixture back into the hollowed out mirliton and bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees prior to serving.

One year I got so many of them that I had trouble even giving them away. Neighbors wouldn't answer their doors when I came calling with a bag of them to unload.

imafan26
Mod

You are trying too hard. If your climate is semi tropical and not arid, then just loosen up the soil and add some compost. It is best to let them crawl on a fence but they will sprawl or climb any nearby trees, they like to be in the sun, but they will grow and fruit in cool weather and the vines will shrink when the weather is hot. If you have monsoon season, you only have to water to keep them alive in summer.

Get a fresh fruit, any size will do, but the older ones will have a larger seed. Make a small depression in the ground, so that the fruit will lay on top and not roll around. If it is not going to be disturbed much, you can omit this step. Place, or in my case I just toss the overgrown fruit near the fence and leave it alone. Do not water it, don't pay attention to it until the root has gone into the ground and the fruit has withered and shrunk. There is enough water in the fruit to carry the plant until it can root itself. It just needs to be left alone. If you water it, the fruit will rot, the soil should be damp but not soggy. A loose moist loam is good since it will be easier for the roots to get into the ground. If it rains regularly, it will take care of itself, if not, you will have to water it once the root has established and keep it evenly moist. The squash will tell you if it is not getting enough water, the leaves will go limp.

One more important consideration. Chayote is a tropical fruit that is perennial in the tropics but needs 145-180 warm days anywhere else. Chayote grows best at elevations of 600-1200 ft. in Hawaii where it is 5-9 degrees cooler than at sea level. It flowers and fruits in cool weather ( 60-70 degrees) and while it will grow in hotter places and at sea level, it will make more vine and not a lot of fruit when night temperatures are higher than 80 degrees. The vine tips are also edible. It is pollinated mostly by bees, but also by flies. Some people think the reason that it does not grow well at the lower elevations in Hawaii because it is more dependent on the flies than the bees for pollination in the higher elevations and in the lower elevations it needs to be watered more. In Wahiawa and Mililani, it normally rains so much that the vines only need water in the summer. It flowers when the daylight is just a hair over 12 hours and vines contract and produce less fruit in the middle of summer. The bees dropped off sharply in 2011 when the varoa mites and hive beetles started killing off many of the wild bees. The bees are making a comeback but are still not as plentiful as before. It does not help that people like to kill any bees that try to nest in their yard and that homeowners use a lot of pesticides.
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/sustainag/e ... 0Choko.pdf

It doesn't have a lot of taste on its own, but like gourds, it will absorb flavor like a sponge

Young chayote can be used to make pickles. I like to make it using a pickled mango recipe with li hing mui
Chayote can be substituted for squash or green papaya in soups
It can be baked and stuffed like merlitins
Some people just nuke the young squash and eat it with butter, salt and pepper. (this is too bland for me)
It can be diced and added to other vegetable soups or stir fried with pork or bacon.
Filipino Sayote Salad
2 bundles chayote (sayote) tips ( a bundle is about the size you can hold between your thumb and index finger)
You want the tender tips minus the tendrils
4 tablespoons vinegar
5 calamondin (calamansi) limes. (lemon or lime can be substituted)
1 finger of ginger, peeled and sliced into thin slivers
5 medium sized ripe tomatoes wedged or chopped coarsely
Salt and pepper to taste. Fish sauce can be substituted for salt
Clean chayote tips, removing tendrils and cutting shoots into bite sized pieces. ( I leave them on, they are crunchy and I haven't died yet so why waste it). Heat salted water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl of cold water and ice and set nearby. Blanch tips, a few at a time, for about 30-45 seconds until they turn a bright green. Immediately remove with a spider and place in iced water to stop cooking. Drain in a collander after all the tips are blanched and cooled.
Cut the calamondins in half and juice, removing seeds. Place juice, vinegar, ginger, in a small bowl, season with salt (or fish sauce) and pepper. Place drained sayote in a large serving bowl, add onions and tomatoes. Pour sauce over vegetables and stir gently just before serving.

Spiritofthewild

Thankyou both for the help! It is very much appreciated. I will give them a try again this year but even if I do get them going, I think our hot nights will mean I won't get much flowering/fruit anyway but so far it's been a very mild summer so fingers crossed!

Oh and those recipes sound yummm! Hopefully I'll be able to get a crop and try them out!

Thanks again!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Our summers don't get near as hot as yours, but we do frequently get into the upper 90's during the day from June to early September and that is when my vines did a lot of their growing. They would set flowers and then fruit in the fall. Right now, the local markets are loaded with them and they are selling at 3 for $1.

imafan26
Mod

If they get enough water in summer they make it through. We do get into the low 90's around August and frankly, the vines live on rain. I do not water or feed them. They are growing in soil that has a lot of compost and it rains on most days in the early morning anyway. I only turn on the sprinkler twice a week when it does not rain for an hour each time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”