lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Re: 96 Green Tomatoes, How do you ripen green tomatoes?

As I posted above, I picked several green tomatoes before what I thought was our first frost. After that my wife and I were on a trip to Colorado for 10 days. While gone the temps at home got low so I just knew the tomato plants were toast. Temps in the teens in Colorado emphasized that.

Imagine how shocked I was when I returned to find these plants still going.

applestar
Mod

Nice! They probably don't get truly freezing temperatures on the pier as long as the lake is not frozen. I imagine along the shoreline, there must be some composting heat generated by the muck as well? (hmm... that word doesn't work right, but I hope you know what I mean -- I don't want to imply your lakeshore is "mucky")

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Nice! They probably don't get truly freezing temperatures on the pier as long as the lake is not frozen. I imagine along the shoreline, there must be some composting heat generated by the muck as well? (hmm... that word doesn't work right, but I hope you know what I mean -- I don't want to imply your lakeshore is "mucky")
Muck works. Not sure what keeps the temps up but glad to still have some maters growing on Dec 3rd.

Actually ours is a reservoir lake for flood control and water management, so Alabama Power lowers the water 10 ft each year. That allows air and sunshine to our shoreline, and keeps it fairly clean, compared to fish weed, etc that thrives in lakes that stay full year round.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”