Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Alaska Snow Pea growing experts needed.

It has been about 5 years since I have grown peas. Peas seem like a waste of time, 1 seed grows about 10 pods with 3 peas per pod per plant. I sow pea seeds like grass seed a 6" wide row 50' long seeds are about 2" apart growing up the tomato cages. I have been harvesting peas for 3 weeks about 20 pods each every 5 days. They get ripe slow but they keep growing and they are good raw in salad. Days are short now about 11 hrs of sun light, 79 degrees during the day and 40 at night. It is going to get 29 degrees Sunday night. Maybe I should have fertilized with nitrogen? I would like to know how you plant your peas and what your harvest is?

Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They are nitrogen fixers and shouldn't need added Nitrogen.

Yield depends on the type. This spring I did some sugar snap, edible pod peas, and some regular garden vine peas. The regular ones performed about as you described. The sugar snaps were amazing! They started producing sooner (they were all planted at the same time) and kept producing a lot longer and were way more productive the whole time. I may just grow those from now on!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I grow shell, snap and snow peas every year and have grown Alaska shell peas. They are not my favorite.

Snap peas seem like the biggest step forward in garden varieties in my lifetime. Snow peas have their place in stir-fries and I can still remember first enjoying them in Chinese restaurants. However, snap peas are fine in stir-fries, too :).

Shell peas are a low-production crop compared to snap peas, which give us both a full size seed and a tender pod. Still, I grow the shell peas. They make me feel privileged to be a gardener ... altho, lots of them never make it into the kitchen ;).

Much of my gardens is in beds and these are the pea trellises. Boards are tied together with wire and baling twine runs the length of trellis, tied to the cross boards.

Steve

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Fall peas here are a waste of time and resources. In order to get any type of harvest you have to plant them in August but the past several years it's been way too hot for them to sprout until late September.

I like shell peas. I like them best raw and the ones in the store just don't taste as good.

My best ones recently were the ones I grew in pots in the shady terraced garden. Wando was one of the varieties I tried last spring. For snow peas Carouby de Maussane are both pretty and tasty. I have seeds for the winged peas but I didn't get them planted last year.

Nitrogen is wasted on peas. They don't need it. Phosphorus and potassium are what peas need.

applestar
Mod

For wow factor in snow peas, I recommend Swiss Giant, Mammoth Melting Sugar, and Oregon Sugar Pod II.

@ButterflyLady, could you describe your experience with Carouby de Maussane some more? I called them "Carouby de INsane"because they performed so poorly -- barely growing to about 8 inches or so, taking much longer to start blooming, then croaking at first sign of hot weather. Worst out of something like 6-8 varieties I tried this year. But I know it gets pretty good flavor reviews, so I'm prepared to try again -- maybe there is something I missed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”