Roxanne
Newly Registered

greenhouse temp.

We just put up a greenhouse. I planted tomato and pepper seeds. I left the house early the other morning and I didnt open the doors or vents and when I came back the temp was 107 degrees. The seeds had only been in there for a day when this happened. Are the seeds okay or are the not going to germinate now. I am new to this and I don't know alot about it. Thanks.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Roxanne :D

They should be fine as long as they had not started to germinate. The only thing that would have killed them then is if the pots had dried out completely and the sprouting shoot had dried out.
I would continue to look after them for at least another week. If then you see no signs of life you will know they were cooked!

Roxanne
Newly Registered

Jess wrote:Hi Roxanne :D

They should be fine as long as they had not started to germinate. The only thing that would have killed them then is if the pots had dried out completely and the sprouting shoot had dried out.
I would continue to look after them for at least another week. If then you see no signs of life you will know they were cooked!
Thanks Jess. They had not started to germinate and the temp. was only that high for a short time.
I was wondering too if the temp. gets to low will they die or just stop growing. My thoughts are that they would just stop growing untill the temp got back up. :?:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If the seeds have germinated that the temperatures goes below freezing their can be some damage done the the cells from the formation of ice crystals but, other than that their shouldn't be any damage.

The heat shouldn't have been a problem but, if left at high temperatures for long period of time the proteins in the cells can denature (change shape) which can kill the plants.

Roxanne
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:If the seeds have germinated that the temperatures goes below freezing their can be some damage done the the cells from the formation of ice crystals but, other than that their shouldn't be any damage.

The heat shouldn't have been a problem but, if left at high temperatures for long period of time the proteins in the cells can denature (change shape) which can kill the plants.[/quote

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”