FAN3LL1
Newly Registered

Is this Bean Mosaic Virus? Is it too late for the others?

20161026_184708.jpg
20161026_191621.jpg
20161026_185325.jpg
Hello, brand new to this forum and new to indoor gardening! I have started a decent sized garden with success until this month. My eldest bean plant has been showing bad signs since the first flowering node has developed. Is it too late for my other beans if I remove the bad plant? Do I remove it at all? Thank you in advanced!

- Frank

FAN3LL1
Newly Registered

The first picture is a healthy plant directly beside the "infected" plant.

applestar
Mod

Were those photos taken indoors? Are you growing them inside? They look very healthy. :D (well except for those problem leaves and the bean)

I'm wondering if these might be signs of mites or other sucking insects like white flies maybe (thrips? I can never tell about those.). OR, depending on the size of the container, they might have reached the limit of the support the container can provide.

You didn't mention where you live -- are you in a cold area? That floor level heater (I think?) is also making me wonder about the kind of heating if any you are using -- do you have gas heat? Or dry air will promote mite activity, and stress the plant, the lesions on the bean in the last photo is not familiar.

In my area, we just had first frost and stinkbugs will be trying to move in. Every winter, there are stinkbugs in the house that think my indoor plants are terrific source of winter snacks. Some of them chew the leaves but most of them are -lant juice suckers.

I would rule out these pest and environmental factors before focusing on possible disease.

FAN3LL1
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply!

Yes I am growing everything indoors for winter in my apartment. It is currently 25 degrees inside the apartment at all times and 30% humidity according to my canadian tire monitoring device lol.

The heating here is electric baseboard heat but I have humidifiers for our health, which also helps the plants!

I did have what I believed to be fungal gnats, but I reduced watering to allow for a few inches of soil to dry between watering, and spread diatomaceous earth on the soil and around the garden and even on one leaf that had pieces eaten off it. They are now gone but my poor bean plant looks aweful. The beans look gross and diseased. Full of lesions and red color sprawled through them.

FAN3LL1
Newly Registered

A also note that I am using 4x 32w 6500k 4' fluorescent lighting

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”