Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Can you find the softball?

:) I was going to say my Candy onions are as big as softballs, but I think the softball doesn't measure up. I would so recommend trying this variety if you live in or anywhere near the intermediate zone. They're supposed to do well most anywhere. This was my first year trying them.

I started these from seed in a dishpan a little late I thought, but it worked out just right. I cheated a little bit: I heard you guys talking about these on the forum, then went to Dixondale Farms site to read up on them. Then, got the seeds from an ebay vendor. :oops:

Only wish I had planted more than just 20. Next year, a lot more.
onions candy.JPG

applestar
Mod

They look fantastic! Grown from seeds? When did you start the seeds>

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I only wish I could remember exactly when I started the seeds and when I set them out. I didn't put that in my notes for this year. :oops: But, I think it was a little later than I should have, because I was thinking I found out about Candy onions too late, then thought I would just give them a shot anyway. I think, ideally, you start the seeds in Feb. and set them out about 4-6 weeks before the last frost. Around here that's possible because the ground doesn't freeze very deep. Used a dishpan to start with holes drilled in for drainage, then used Miracle Grow potting soil mixed 1/2 with perlite.

Next year, I will allow more space between plants. I allowed about 6 inches, but they were all touching each other by season's end! But what an onion, juicy, solid, mild. Not bothered by any pests above ground or below.

Sorry: Miracle Gro seed starting mix. :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wow those are good size onions. I need to grow onions from seed, sets are never available here until late spring.

When did you start your seeds?

Online says, Candy Onions are 85 day onions what does that mean, full grown onion large as yours in 85 days?

Taiji
Greener Thumb

I can't remember exactly when I started the seeds. I'm guessing sometime in March? Maybe late March. Didn't keep track of the days either. I would guess though that they were in the ground longer than 3 months. Pulled them when the tops fell over and dried up. I would guess in the ground maybe 4 months. I was tempted to pull them earlier since they were so big, but thought since they're still green and standing up straight might as well leave them in.

Looks like from the Dixondale Farm site that you are close to what they call the intermediate zone, so Candy onions should do well there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”