redneck647

Found this worm in the garden.

I pulled up a turnip plant that had been left for seed and found this thing on it. Haven't seen any that looked like this before so I'm wondering what it is and if its something I'll have to watch for in the future?
IMG_20161011_103711.jpg

applestar
Mod

I think it's an armyworm.

redneck647

Thanks. It turns out it isn't but you did lead me in the right direction. I started looking up army worms and they don't seem to have the purple color that this one had. However one of the links took me to a site where I found this. https://bugguide.net/node/view/1018042/bgimage
After looking into them I think its safe to say that its a striped garden caterpillar.
I haven’t found much on how much damage they can cause so I’m hoping its not much.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its been a while since you posted about the worm. Question: Has any more of these guys shown up? One worm is not likely to give you much stress, but if he has a lot of buddies then it can get bad.

applestar mentioned Army Worm. I have seen these in action. The word "army" indicates that they come in large numbers like an army.

Update?

redneck647

That's the only worm like that I’ve ever seen. And now that its getting cold out the gardens done for the year I figure the worms are pretty much done too now. But if it was a striped garden caterpillar like I think then they supposedly spend the winter as a worm so they could show up in the spring yet. And of course their offspring next fall.
The side of the garden it was one was finished. I had left that turnip go to seed so it was the only thing other then some weeds growing over there.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”