SLC

Will a light frost kill my peanut plants and veggies?

I have been sick and didn't know we were supposed to have our first light frost of the season tonight. I just watched the news which is how I found out but it's almost midnight and I can't do anything about it now.

I haven't dug up any of my peanut plants yet. Will they be okay if I dig them up tomorrow and let them dry out? Will the peanuts still be edible?

If I pick what I have left of peppers, tomatoes and green beams tomorrow, even if the plant dies from the frost tonight, will they still be edible?

Should I dig up all my potatoes or can they stay in the ground for a few frosts?

I assume my onions will be okay?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your peanuts should be fine.

Regards peppers, tomatoes, green beans, you will be able to see if the fruit itself has been frozen. If so it is spoiled. Often a light frost may nip the leaves but not freeze the fruit.

Potatoes, if the vines are dead, may as well dig the potatoes.

Onions: If you are talking green onions, yes they can stay in the ground and pull them as you need them to eat. For large onions you will want to pull them and dry them then put them in a mesh bag and hang them in a dry place.

applestar
Mod

Yep. If its a hard frost, your peppers and tomatoes could well get frozen -- I'm a bit of a miser when it comes to perfectly good fruits that get frost bitten overnight and, as long as I can get to them within hours of sunrise, will rinse off and throw them all but the greenest immature ones in a pot to cook right away :P They certainly will not mature any further and will spoil if left on the plant or are picked but are left unprocessed.

You can make cooked recipe green tomato salsa or relish, curry, etc. too. But plan on eating them right away and not count on long-term storage, just in case.

SLC

Thank you!

Do you think it would be okay if I left the peanuts and potatoes in the ground? We are supposed to have another frost tonight.

The problem is, I work until 4:30 so that gives me like 1 1/2 hours at the most of daylight and there is no way I have time to pick/dig up everything today. So that is why I am wondering if the peanuts and potatoes could withstand another night of frost? Yes, the potato vines are dead.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”