pippo90
Newly Registered

Garden Plan

Hello Everyone

This is my first post here so here goes, about me... I'm 17, high school junior, and ya.

I live in Southern California in a community. Near my house about 500 200 feet is a huge hilly area with power lines running above it and the community was supposed to build soccer fields down there but after 2 years, they still havn't.

Recently my friends and I had an idea for a project that we have already started. We are going to plant Tomatos, corn, squash, peas, onion, carrots, basil, cucmbers etc. down on a flat area of those fields. Nothing is being done with the land so why not? Plus in a couple months we'll have free vegetables, that really anyone could take.

Are there any problems with the law? Nothing is being done with the land, its over grown with weeds, kids go over there to mess around all the time, we arnt vandalising anything, might as well do something good with it. Anyone here know?

Ill have some picture up of what we are doing and have already done

Grey
Greener Thumb

I love your idea. Talk to the city (I'm guessing they own the land), make sure they won't have a problem with it. Let them know you won't leave a mess for them to clean up, and that it's a community garden. That's a big thing these days, so hopefully, they go for it.

:)

pippo90
Newly Registered

Yaaa... see :lol:

theres the problem, I'd rather just do it and hope they don't say anything, instead of asing, then they tell me I can't. Then I would just go plant them in another area. I'll think about it.

My friend says that I'd have to talk to the county not the state since this community isn't officially in the city yet.

I'll inquire to the county about it.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, if you don't work things out with them what they can do is pay someone to clean the area up and charge you for the work, or they can charge you for it. It's best to talk with the city first.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, I'd start out asking when they think they'll get around to putting in those fields. If it's not this year, then ask if they'd mind if you and your friends planted a community garden - tomatoes, veggies and such...

If they say no, ask why. It may be for liability reasons - someone gets bit by a snake (not a really big garden hazard, I just threw it out there) then they have to pay for it. You can always sign a wavier that says if you or your friends are hurt while gardening you won't sue the county for it.

You might even come up with a nice persuasive short speech about how this is good for the environment and for the community, and good for you and your friends too - after all, instead of spraying graffiti, you want to plant a garden. Such endeavors should be supported. It could even garner the county some positive media attention.

It's all in how you ask ;)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

pippo90,

There is something else to consider. Often power lines are periodically clear cut or even worse sprayed with herbicides to keep unwanted vegetation down. You may come out one day and find all of your work mowed over or killed by spraying.

Norm

pippo90
Newly Registered

haha I really doubt that they spray ANYTHING near the power lines since literally this whole area is overgrown with bushes and weeds

I'll ask the county about it guess.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Not quite what you want to do but along the same lines so worth mentioning I think.
Here in England there is a group called "Guerilla Gardeners" They sneak out in the middle of the night and plant up unused sites , waste ground, ugly verges, roundabouts etc. Surprisingly in the years they have been doing this no one has been arrested occasionally some official will tell them to move on but they just come back later and they have received anonymous donations in some areas to help with the cost of the plants and compost. :D
Not that I in anyway condone trespassing I hope you understand! :wink:

Grey
Greener Thumb

Jess, that's hilarious!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Grey I tried to join but the nearest group to me is 50 miles away. :( Hopefully they will become active in my area. There are some real eyesores around here that could do with sprucing up a bit.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I think there is a group like that in California as well. Does the group in the UK plant mainly trees and other perennials?

Jess
Greener Thumb

opabinia51 wrote:I think there is a group like that in California as well. Does the group in the UK plant mainly trees and other perennials?
Yes. As far as I know they have not done veggies yet. I wouldn't put it past them given the right site and the right opportunity.
I wonder if they started out there or here Opa? Not that it matters. It is just lovely to see an area once vandalised looking lovely again wherever it is. :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I just remember seeing something in the news about that, it may have been in California but, I'm really not sure where.

Pippo; it would be a good idea to check things out with your local government first. And good luck with your project! I hope it works out well for you and your friends.

ml2620
Newly Registered

Hello Pippo!

My first day and I already have something to add! As someone mentioned, what you are trying to do is called guerilla gardening. There is a group active in the Northwest and California that supports the idea of using all available land to grow food, it's called food not lawns.

www.foodnotlawns.com

I have the book Food Not Lawns by Heather Flores (which is much better than the website) and it has lots of ideas for inexpensive community garden activities - although she can be a bit over the top (she's includes instructions on dumpster diving for food, and what to do if you are arrested for trespassing/civil disobedience - LOL!) It's worth checking out and I donated a copy to my local community garden. We collected leaves last fall, and promoted the garden in spring by doing a seed swapping event in February - both ideas from the book!

Hope this helps. One question, how will you water these vegetables?

webmaster
Site Admin

Welcome aboard ml2620! :)

Never heard of Guerrilla Gardening before, thanks for the info.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”