jta016
Newly Registered

Help me figure out what plant this is? Potato-like tubers >>

Hi, me and my dad were working outside and found these guys. Their size varies greatly and their leaves are greasy texture their stem seems like a vine of some sorts. No odor and isnt brittle enough to rip parts of it off. Any ideas of what it is is greatly appriciated.
Attachments
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I am going to call it a weed. Jerk it out and toss it in the garbage can!

applestar
Mod

Where are you located? This is very intriguing!

If North American origin, maybe one of the members !potatoes! would know ... :-()

jta016
Newly Registered

Yes I am in texas. I was thinking a sort of potato!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I think it's probably some species of Smilax. some have weird-shaped tubers like that. are the leaves real shiny on top?

told2b

You don’t want Smilax in your yard.
Attachments
Smilax.jpg

applestar
Mod

Smilax/greenbriar that invade my garden from the wooded lot behind the back fence has wicked thorns. They use the thorns to hook on/cling and climb up the undergrowth shrubs, reach up to low hanging tree branches and then climb on up to overhead branches :shock:

Some of them are impossible -- and dangerous -- to deal with since there are no safe portion of the thorny vines to grab hold of, and -- more than once -- I've attempted to cut them then yank them down and got hit by the falling/whipping thorny vine. (It always made me think these would be good material for medieval torture :twisted: )

But now I'm intrigued -- next time there's one in an area that I can dig up, I'm going to see if there is a tuber. Apparently, they grow berries that birds like to eat, so there are occasional volunteers that grow under their favorite roosting trees and areas in the garden.

Young greenbriar shoots are supposed to be tasty wild forage. When I tried to gather some, they have always been swarming with ants -- I think they must be sweet?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

they're not particularly sweet, but they are very attractive to aphids. I'm a pretty big fan of the shoots - enough so that I keep cutting back some bigger old plants in the near edge of the woods to pick shoots from in the spring.

some species of smilax don't have that many thorns.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”