MockY

Planting Garlic Without Any Vernalization

I planted Inchelium Red Garlic year in October and the harvest I had from these in the middle of May was absolutely mindblowing. I was planning on planting even more this year using the crop I got but I totally forgot to let them go though a couple of months of vernalization. I don't know if the supplier last year skipped this step or not (they came from Vermont and shipped in October), but seeing as the results were great, I'd like to do the same again. I have asked them about it and awaiting a response.

In the meantime, do you think it would be alright to skip this step? It rarely gets below 32 here so once they are planted, they will not really be exposed to any cold. I fear I'll get very small cloves (if any at all) if I skip vernalization and I'd rather eat the cloves than wasting them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about that particular garlic, but I have always had good results just planting cloves from grocery store garlic, with no preparation.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmmm, I don't know. My guess is that they will grow. Its going to be an experiment. Let us know how it goes?

imafan26
Mod

If they shipped in October then the company probably did the conditioning. I would give them a try anyway.

MockY

High Mowing Seeds just got back to me and they said the following:
"We do not vernalize the garlic that we ship out"

Well then, I guess I don't have to think about it. I probably have about 4 pounds left of the harvest and I bought an additional 2 pounds (which will fill a 4x8 bed) due to the fact that I have a nematode infestation in some of the beds. I might as well add plenty of vermicompost and till in marigolds prior to planting garlic in those beds and hope those critters are gone by the summer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmmmm...... sounds like your variety did just fine. You can very likely plant that you grew with the same results next season? :)

MockY

I figured I would do a little update. I ended up planting 2/3 of a bed with High Mowing Seeds garlic, and 1/3 of our own crop. The 2 pounds I bought this year was in terrible shape and I contemplated sending it back.

What I've noticed now 10 days later, every single clove I planted from my own harvest is already poking through the mulch layer. Not a single one from this years purchase is doing it. That goes to show that you really should plant your harvest from the year before. I'm hoping the purchased ones will come up at some point (I'm now even more nervous about the quality of the seed garlic I received), and next year (if they produce as well as last year) all seed garlic will come from the harvest. No more purchasing seed garlic.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted 13 varieties to find the one that did well at this location. Now I just plant that one. I keep some of the best cloves from the harvest for planting.

Meatburner

Same here jal-ut. I am surprised how much bigger the cloves are I have been saving for several years compared to the seed garlic I have purchased. I will no longer purchase any seed garlic which I only did to experiment with.

imafan26
Mod

Well, I plant grocery store garlic because it is all I can get. Most companies will not ship bulbs here. Luckily, the market garlic is the right kind. I just have to make sure it is not treated. I do keep the garlic in the frig until it is time to plant but often it starts sprouting early. My cloves don't get very large probably because I have a nitrogen rich acidic clay and not alkaline sandy soil. I often end up with small garlic and a few cloves but usually they are not very large. Maybe I will try growing them in a pot where I can control the soil type better.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”