Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Do we get a boost from virgin ground?

This year I created a new garden space about 25' x 50' that had never been grown in before. I wasn't really expecting much; I thought to myself well, it will probably be a few years until I get the soil built up and get any really good production. But, I was so surprised to have so much success with everything I planted. Beets, turnips, corn, beans, squash, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions all did remarkably well. Just was wondering if in some cases, the first year might be better because nutrients haven't yet been depleted?

Now, I did start out last fall by turning in manure and lots of organic matter, then planted cover crops of rye and clover and turned them in in the spring of this year, then lightly sprinkled some ammonium sulfate granules on all the planting areas. Any plants that I started indoors and set out were planted with some pretty good compost in the holes. Maybe that all had something to do with it too? :wink: :()

applestar
Mod

What was there before? Was it truly wild/virgin ground?

I believe there IS some benefit -- isn't that why the farmers leave a field unplanted "fallow" every so often?

I think I have read that there are some crops that do particularly well in the first year. I'm pretty sure corn, squash and beans are some of them. (corn does well planted after some kind of grass -- I can't remember ...was it rye or is that what it DOESN'T do well after.....?) Potatoes are said to be good pioneer crop.

I'm sure adding compost helped, too.

I think tall and/or deep rooted crop like corn and tomatoes, squash, (and sunflowers) also helps to break up and grow roots/organic matter deep down into the ground where they will help to create better soil for the following year.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

tilling ground that has vegetation on it (my experience is with hayfields turned into planting areas) will give a bump the first year for sure, as incorporated plant material is broken down. the second year in the same location without tilling frequently doesn't give the same push.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I try to think of gardens as communities, soil organisms and all ... I fit in there somewhere ;). It feels valid to think this way and adjust cultivation with this orientation in mind. If I can be better at it, I believe I can be a better gardener.

Gardening has a history. Plants have a history. You have incorporated some of those relationships in your choice of garden plants. Even your cultivation techniques, including your use of animal manure, played a role. Certainly, the use of compost did.

Cover crops? Yes. You were establishing those plant relationships even before this year's vegetable crops went in the ground. Good work!

Steve

applestar
Mod

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Thx. :)
Well, at least the ground had not been used by me before. It just had some sparsely growing native grasses and "weeds" in there and it was hard as a rock though pretty sandy. Maybe only one or two earthworms per planting area. Yes, I see what you're saying about ground laying fallow.

The soil in those beds now is loaded with earthworms, soft and cakey. All in less than a year. I would really recommend cover crops if you've got the time! :-()

Area went from this:
beds.JPG
to this:
snowy beds 2.JPG
to this:
the attack.JPG
Now I'm starting back at square one planting the rye and clover again. It's about half done, but I still have some regular crops going.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Now, I did start out last fall by turning in manure and lots of organic matter, then planted cover crops of rye and clover and turned them in in the spring of this year, then lightly sprinkled some ammonium sulfate granules on all the planting areas. Any plants that I started indoors and set out were planted with some pretty good compost in the holes. Maybe that all had something to do with it too?"

Yep, all of those things you mention gives the soil a boost.

It is a good thing to add organic materials to the garden plot. You can use leaves, manure, grass clippings. Add it in the fall and till it in to decompose over winter and let the worms work on it, or use it as mulch during the the growing season.

Caution, be advised that chicken manure is hot and must be used sparingly or it may kill the plants.

imafan26
Mod

Well, I would not call that quite virgin ground then. When it was fallow, nature did its thing and recycled the plants growing there because nothing was being removed. You added compost and green manure to replenish the soil the fall before so you put in more than you took out. I believe that is why you got such great yields.

You had a field that was rested and rotated crops and you put in more than you took out.
However, when you planted the main crop you harvested some of the reserves so now you will have to replace that again to keep the land productive.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”