ace1719

Berry bushes

Hi everyone!

I set up a garden on my roof last fall, so this past summer was my first summer with it. Some things did well, others did not. My questions for you are regarding something that did not do so well; berries. To preface this, I will mention that I had planted raspberry, boysenberry, blackberry, strawberry, gooseberry and tayberry (blackberry x raspberry cross) in wooden bushel buckets last fall. The strawberries and raspberries had produced the previous summer, and I transplanted them. The rest I purchased from a farm and were inactive. When spring came along, only the gooseberry and the raspberry came out of dormancy. The gooseberry was fine, but the raspberry was barely alive, came out of dormancy late, and only growing leaves where the plant meets the soil (ie. the branches were dead).

I know all these berry plants are prolific growers in much colder regions of Canada than Toronto, so the issue is not that they cannot survive the cold, however because they were in a container, the soil likely froze, killing the roots. Now, I have two options to prevent history from repeating itself;

1) Build raised beds (I've already built a dozen on my roof, so one more won't make a difference, if so do you think would 6' x 3' be large enough for the 5 rubus plants, 2'x3' for the gooseberry, and 2'x2' for the strawberry?)
2) Insulate them somehow

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think the size of your beds is fine.

About raspberries, the canes come up and grow up but don't usually produce until the next season, then they die. You prune out the two year old canes.

zippy
Newly Registered

I have everbearing raspberries, fruit from early summer and till bearing. All the canes bear fruit so last year I cut all back and they were great this year. Is this the right thing to do?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

On everbearing, If you let some of the one year canes overwinter, they may bloom and make a July crop. That is if they make winter. They may also bloom again for a September crop. If you clip all the canes in the fall, then you will only get a fall crop.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”