Dirt Man

How long does it take Chard, Broccoli, Beets to germinate?

I planted, chard, beets, broccoli 2 weeks ago nothing is coming up?

I planted, lettuce, peas, cabbage at the same time they are coming up.

I have been watering all the rows several times every day making sure soil stays wet.

How long does it take chard, beets and broccoli to germinate?

It is still hot in the 90s after 2 weeks of no rain it finally rained 2 times in 4 days.
Last edited by Dirt Man on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A week - 10 days? Where did you get the seed? Did you make a germination test?

I know sprouting small seeds in warm weather is a risky chore. They need to be close to the surface about half an inch and in the sunshine and with a lil breeze, that can dry out really quick. If the soil where your newly sprouting seeds reside dries out, you will likely lose the seed. I find that covering the newly planted seed with newspapers helps hold in the moisture and you can check in a few days and when you see seedlings emerging, take off the paper.

Dirt Man

I had totally forgotten I did a germination test. OK lettuce seeds are coming up, no broccoli and no celery yet. I planted several empty plant trays and have them setting in pans of water in the shade. I did not do beet or chard germination test but now I will. I planted more seeds in the same 40 foot rows just have to wait and see what happens.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

They should have been up before now. A few days at most.
How old are the seeds? And how were they stored?

Dirt Man

ButterflyLady29 wrote:They should have been up before now. A few days at most.
How old are the seeds? And how were they stored?
I bought the seeds in May so I would have them for my fall garden. Lettuce, beets, chard, Napa cabbage, celery, Broccoli, Peas. Lettuce, Napa and Peas are the only things coming up.

applestar
Mod

Beets and chard seeds respond well to pre-germinating in the seed sprouter. Just be sure to sow as soon as the first root tip emerges.

In springtime when I start broccoli, they are usually right behind cabbage and arugula which only take 2-3 days -- 3-5 days at most.

imafan26
Mod

I don't know, they should be up by now. I know if I plant at the wrong time of the month, my germination gets poorer.

https://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk ... anting.asp

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”