applestar
Mod

Planning for 2017 garden

I thought someone else had started a thread about this, but maybe I'm thinking of the fall planting threads or maybe others have mentioned some ideas in their garden progress threads?

As the last of each crop for this growing season are harvested, I start to think about how and what of the same crop I want to grow next year. Since I rotate, I also start thinking about WHERE. I have garden beds to three sides of the house -- NE, SE, and SW. And in each direction, the areas are divided into smaller distinct beds -- all named for my own purposes. I rotate crops through these beds based on suitable growing conditions and sun exposure.

This year, on NE side,
- Haybale Row and Raspberry+ ('16 Cherry Lane) were onions/lettuce --> tomatoes/adzuki beans/basil
- Sunflower House was mainly peas/carrots --> corn/carrots/C.pepo squash/runner beans --> carrots/sweet potatoes/lima beans
- Sunflower House Extension was garlic/onions --> summer squash --> sweet potatoes
- Spiral Garden was peas/chick peas/onions/strawberries --> adzuki beans/winter squash/watermelons/melons/cucumbers
- Spiral Garden Annex was peas --> C.pepo squash/cucumbers --> cucumbers/hot peppers

So now, I'm penciling in for 2017
- Haybale Row and Raspberry+ ('16 Cherry Lane) will be cucurbits -- peas/fava beans then productive/prolific bush/semi type winter squash in HBR and garlic/peas --> smaller prolific melons along the Raspberry+ (need to think of a whimsical name :wink: )
- Sunflower House will be mainly bush peas --> tomatoes/eggplants/bush beans/basil
- Sunflower House Extension will be pole peas --> cherry tomatoes/pole beans
- Spiral Garden will be peas/carrots/fava beans --> carrots/sweet corn/edamame beans
- Spiral Garden Annex will be onions --> sweet potatoes

...anyone else dreaming about next year already? :-()

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I've been telling myself: More cucumbers and summer squash next year. Also try carrots again. Its hard to get carrots to germinate here...... but you gotta try?

imafan26
Mod

Hey, I have to get the weeds out of the way before I can find this years' garden.
I have already sorta started. I have beet and broccoli seedlings started. De Cicco Broccoli and Detroit Dark red beets. The Broccoli if the snails leave them alone will still be producing till about January.
I have my garlic chilling in the frig for planting in October
Otherwise it is usually more of the same
October - March
Pak choy
Shanghai baby bok choy
Napa cabbage
Kai Choy
Oregon sugar peas
Texas Granex onions
American Flag Leeks
Mizuna
Komatsuna
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
My Brussels' Sprouts is still hanging in there. This is the longest it has lasted.
Cucumber- Diva, Shiyo kyuri, Suyo, Summer Dance, Orient Express, and Tasty Jade ( not all at the same time) I just want to try some diferent varieties. I usually grow Diva and Suyo.
Tomatoe Big Beef, red current, sunsugar, suncherry, new big dwarf, Pruden's purple

Summer from March - July
Beans- maxibel (bush) Blue lake (bush), Poamoho ( pole) , greencrop (bush), Asparagus bean, red noodle, Dragon tongue, lima and possibly wing beans ( my seeds are very old so I don't know if they are still good)
Jicama
Koba onions (year round)
Peppers- Peter pepper, Purple Jalapeno, Joe E Parker, Anaheim, Hawaiian, Super Chili, Cayenne, Carmen, Cubanelle, Thai peppers ( I have four different kinds), Wailua Jalapeno, Ghost, Scotch Bonnet, Habanero, Fish, chiletepin, mucho nacho Jalapeno, Charleston Belle, Yolo Wonder, Chinese Giant, and Serrano.
Kale - Curly, Raggedy Jack, Siberian Kale, Toscano kale
cutting celery
araimo
ginger
turmeric
French and English thyme
Lavender
Finocchio Fennel
rosemary (need to replace the one that died)
Make cuttings- bay leaf, Meyer lemon, Kaffir lime, Bearss lime, Calamondin, scented geranium, rose pikake, green rose, Jamaican oregano, black bamboo, gynuura, Mexican tarragon, and lavender. Divide galangal, key ginger, parrot beak heliconia, rabbit's foot fern.
Corn- UH no 9 or 10 (it can be grown year round in Hawaii)
Flowers- alyssum, butterfly bush (needs to go somewhere else), marigolds, sunflowers, oxeye daisy, snapdragon, hollyhocks ( I haven't grown them in years), cosmos (sensation mix) zinnia, calendula, aster, borage (in summer)

Basil, shiso, and onions will be allowed to flower. It attracts bees.

If I can find another one, I need to replace pineapple sage, lamb's ear and three roses.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Only thoughts on 2017 have to do with the tomato patch.

I try not to be too obsessive about it. Tomatoes often have problems in my garden and they aren't likely to be great successes, even in good years. Nevertheless, I have fun out there. That's important, especially at this time of year when fatigue becomes an issue and yet, the tomatoes are really coming on strong :)!

I'm thinking about new-to-me varieties:

Plum Lemon (link) Since, I am hoping it doesn't taste like a lemon (with it's "mild sweet flavor. Perfect tomato for salads ...") I would use the alternative name: Wonderlight.

Tomatofest inspires me.

Fruit Punch, pink cherry: "Super fruity sweet. Surprisingly crack resistant, even in heavy rains, considering the delicate thin skin. This tomato will give you pleasure." (LINK)

I grew Rose Quartz several years ago. Cracks! Splits! Pretty good flavor but you couldn't get the ripe fruit wet!

Also, I want to grow a mulch, with the tomatoes - oats. Timing is important. Sow the oat seed early. Set out tomato transplants, in the oats. Pull the oats before it sets seed and use it for a mulch. I did this one year for some zucchini. Timing ... timing is important.

Steve

jasonvanorder

I'm already planning and picked up a bunch of seeds that were on sale. As of now I plan adding 4 4'X10' raised beds to give the vining veggies more room to spread.

So far on the list
- 6 cherry tomato plants
- 6 porterhouse tomato plants
- Yellow onions
- Red onions
- Garlic
- 6 plants bell peppers
- 6 plants jalapeno peppers
- Carrots
- Red watermelon
- Orange watermelon
- Cantaloupe
- Cukes
- Pole green beans
- Wax beans
- Winter squash
- Zucchini
- Pumpkins
- Russet potatoes
- Red potatoes
- Purple potatoes

And I know there are a couple more things I cant remember right now.

applestar
Mod

I want to try growing this next year... But not sure if I can. The website says out of stock, but hopefully they will have more seeds later.
Cauliflower, Purple Cape (Organic) - Adaptive Seeds
https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/product/v ... e-organic/

Cauliflower, Purple Cape (Organic)
$3.80–$9.80
Brassica oleracea. 200 days.

This overwintering purple cauliflower is another great crop for the hunger gap of late spring. When sown in July, it produces deep purple heads the following FebruaryMarch. Produces much larger heads & more food than overwintering purple sprouting broccoli, & we are so happy to be able to offer it! Delicious & beautiful. Hardy to zone 7, this extreme selection (5% survivors) made it through lows of 2˚F in December 2013. A staple of the Pitchfork & Crow winter CSA, Purple Cape seed has become hard to find in recent years.

Seed produced by Pitchfork & Crow in Lebanon, Oregon.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have emptied LOTS of big pots into raised bed areas of my garden, so I can refill them for 2017 plants. With such small space this is the way I can "rotate" tomatoes. I also like the ide that the raised beds are getting taller, and easier to work, as I am getting older!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”