KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Help For My Pumpkin...

I did a stupid thing. I was on a mission to cut down powdery mildew and after spraying diluted milk was pruning back infected leaves. I wasn't paying attention and missed the leaf and instead cut almost all the way through a vine with my biggest sugar pumpkin on it. Arghhh! I didn't quite cut all the way through it, so I wrapped the cut part of the vine in this springy, breathable, wrap material meant for sports injuries. Any possibility it will survive? The whole vine has wilted, but not completely - any possibility that the plant can overcome or reknit the injured area?

Next question: if not, any way the green pumpkin can be salvaged? I cannot puncture the skin with my fingernail, so thats' a good sign, but it is still completely green. What do you think?

applestar
Mod

While we think about it, bury one or more the leaf nodes fore and aft of the node with the fruit. And water well -- the vine should almost immediately set down some roots. This may provide a tiny bit of breathing room.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I would try burying the end of the vine deep in the soil, and maybe some other areas along the vine, if it is very long, and seems to be sending roots down. This has worked for me when I hit the vines of butternuts a couple of times with a weedwacker. The wilting was there for a couple of days, then they recovered! Worked two out of three times - now I don't go near them with the weedwacker!

KitchenGardener

Thank you both - I'm going to try it and hope its not too late!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, pumpkins and squash will send down roots at each leaf node if you put some soil over the stem.

KitchenGardener

My update and new question: I diligently tried burying the vines, but it must have been too late as none took, so sadly, the pumpkin is on its own. Question: while it is immature (still green), the fruit passes the fingernail test and is turning orange. Will it continue to do so if I leave it, or will it just be a sad adolescent pumpkin wannabe?

Right now, its sitting on my kitchen counter, but is there a curing technique to be attempted?

applestar
Mod

It's hard to say. It's not likely to survive until Halloween, but increase its chances by spraying and wiping down the exterior with peroxide or alcohol or baking soda water to kill mold spores, then elevate so there is airflow underneath and it's not sitting directly on a solid surface. Paper/molded paper pulp egg cartons and fastfood beverage trays will serve, or cooling rack, or use plastic or natural baskets etc.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here in High Dry Utah a yellow pumpkin picked and stored in the garage will keep till December. We definitely have a diff in climate though and can't suggest what might work there.

I would leave that on the vine and put a piece of cardboard or plywood under it so it is off the ground. Sometimes little boring critters chew holes in the bottom of the pumpkins. Once the vine is completely dead pick it.

KitchenGardener

The vine was completely dead. It was picked and as I said, is sitting on my kitchen counter...I don't care that it lasts long, I care that it taste good when I cook it! So right now its green turning slightly orange. Will it continue to change color, or does ripening cease when picked?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”