Towlieee

Overwatering?

Am I overwatering? I water every 2 days, tons of drain holes in my 5 gallon buckets, after 2 days the soil is usually dry around 1.5-2" down, but my leaves are "Saggy" looking

I give them too much liquid nutes, way more than recommended, but they haven't shown signs of burn..... And they grow like freaking weeds! Just a pair of baby red bell pepper plants in one bucket, and a Jalapeno plant inanother bucket, I started late in the season, I get only 4 hours of direct evening sunlight (I do supplement with 10-11 hours of 5k CFL's around them).

Baby bells

My Jalapeno plant (took this one yesterday, it has 58 growing Jalapenos and another 30+ buds that look to have set!)

imafan26
Mod

The plants look good. I think it is more of a problem of the pots being too small for large root systems. Either water every day or get them in larger pots. When you water the pots should be taken outside and water thoroughly till they come out the drain holes.

Towlieee

imafan26 wrote:The plants look good. I think it is more of a problem of the pots being too small for large root systems. Either water every day or get them in larger pots. When you water the pots should be taken outside and water thoroughly till they come out the drain holes.
I always deep water, every time I water I at least water until some drains out the holes. every 2-3 weeks or so I'll "flush them" over about 15-20 minutes, by deep watering 3-4 times with straight water, since I use so many nutes I flush excess out incase I'm over doing it.

The pots are 5 gallons, the baby bells are together, and have around 4.6-4.8 gallons of soil, the Jalapeno is alone and has around 4-4.3 gallons of soil, just the cheapest potting soil I could buy, and I regularly hit them with half strength granual 10-15-10 nutes that is mixed in the water.

Btw I was thinking I was over watering, but today would be my "normal day to water", and I would have done so earlier in the day, but when I got home from work, they7 were looking real sad, drooping way more than normal (and its only 87 outside), I checked the soil, was bone dry about 4 inches down! So I went ahead and soaked everything REAL good, repeatedly. I was offo n my calculations, thought I was too wet, looks like I was getting too dry! My plants are SOAKING up the water now that they have tons of fruits (around 90+ on the jalapeno plant)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Am I overwatering?"

NO!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”