JayPoc
Greener Thumb

corn problem

well...not a problem with growing it, I don't think. The corn grew well...almost too well. No issue with bugs, ear worms, etc. The corn looked great.

The problem came when we ate it. We cooked it like we always do, but the texture was way off. Taste was great, but the corn was a little soft (not the normal nice crunch when you bite into an ear), and the kernels were sticky and mushy, for lack of a better term. The stuck together, stuck to our teeth, etc.

We planted two blocks 3 weeks apart, and both blocks were like this. The exact variety name has been lost, but it was billed as a bicolor sweet corn.

Any ideas why this was a bit of a let down?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote " We cooked it like we always do,"

Wonder just what you "always do"? Fresh corn only needs a few minutes to set the juices so it doesn't splatter all over as you bite it. Drop the corn into boiling water for six minutes. Might take less at lower elevations as your water will be hotter than here at 5000 ft elevation.

Too bad you lost the variety name. I was also going to say try a different variety. (next year). At one point I was looking for a corn that would do well here, so I bought a bit of 11 different varieties. That was all the local seed store had. Out of that bunch one excelled. That is the one I plant now.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Quote " We cooked it like we always do,"

Wonder just what you "always do"? Fresh corn only needs a few minutes to set the juices so it doesn't splatter all over as you bite it. Drop the corn into boiling water for six minutes. Might take less at lower elevations as your water will be hotter than here at 5000 ft elevation.

Too bad you lost the variety name. I was also going to say try a different variety. (next year). At one point I was looking for a corn that would do well here, so I bought a bit of 11 different varieties. That was all the local seed store had. Out of that bunch one excelled. That is the one I plant now.
Yeah...boiled these about 5-6 minutes. When we have a little more time, we wrap 'em in foil with butter salt and pepper and roast em.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Maybe that's just the way this particular variety is. I guess it's not something you always have planted since you don't remember the name? I've gotten so I boil mine in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 minutes only.

Or, maybe someone else nearby had a stand of corn which did some cross pollinating with yours? Either a different sweet corn, or a farmer's cornfield?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Could it have been a bit past ripe? Over ripe corn is described as "doughy," but I guess that could be similar to what you are describing.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Taiji wrote:Maybe that's just the way this particular variety is. I guess it's not something you always have planted since you don't remember the name? I've gotten so I boil mine in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 minutes only.

Or, maybe someone else nearby had a stand of corn which did some cross pollinating with yours? Either a different sweet corn, or a farmer's cornfield?
We haven't done corn for a few years, not worth it in my small space when it's 3 or 4 ears for a dollar all summer long at the market. My wife started a bunch of seeds with her class in the spring, and brought them home. The second block was my daughter starting a few of the remaining seeds from a leftover packet. I bought the seeds hurriedly one evening right before she needed them...and I'm forgetful. No farms growing corn anywhere near here...

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Could it have been a bit past ripe? Over ripe corn is described as "doughy," but I guess that could be similar to what you are describing.
I don't think so...it was EVERY ear...even the ones that looked like they got picked a little before they were probably ready. But maybe??

imafan26
Mod

Corn should be picked while the juices are thin and almost clear. About 10 days after the tassels appear. Older corn is more starchy. Fresh corn does not need to be cooked long or in a lot of water. Too much water and cooked too long will make the corn mushy. I only use a little water just enough to create steam and cook for 4-7 minutes. Fresh picked corn doesn't even need to be cooked at all as long as you eat it right away.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

A coupla thoughts:

1) for the variety, it actually might be too cooked, as I agree with Imafan that some need as little as 4 minutes.
2) how soon after cooking did you eat it? As you probably know, some varieties convert sugars to starch faster than other varieties, so if you wait, say 15 - 20 minutes, sometimes its that yucky, chewy starchy mess as if you overcooked it.
3) the variety. Some I've grown were awesome almost no matter what (unless I really let it get overripe) and other types were super finicky and would easily convert their sugars to starch.
4) I sometimes wonder if weather could make a difference, like super hot weather?

Its super disappointing. Blame it on the kids in your wife's class, and make sure that next year, they do better due diligence and come up with a good corn for your garden! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”