Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Is anyone growing celery?

We went to northern Michigan 2 weeks ago to visit relatives they grow celery and head lettuce from grocery store cuttings. When we returned home I could hardly wait to try this. I cut the end of a celery off put it in water and a week later the picture shows what I have. This cutting is almost 2" long but it works with a smaller cutting only 1" long. It is starting to grow roots and a new top. You can grow these in flower pots or the garden too. You can also cut the tops from celery and root them in water in about 2 weeks you have a plant with leaves ready to put in pots or the garden. Cut the bottom and top off of a 2 liter soft drink bottom, set the cone over your celery plants it makes the stalks grow tall and straight. You can grow 3 stalks of celery inside a 2 liter cone, 1 stalk inside a 16 oz or 20 oz soft drink cone. You can grow 5 celery plants in a 10" pot with a home made cone. I was told celery does good in cold weather, snow, ice, but if it gets below about 25 degrees at night bring the plants into the house at night.

I am learning as I go, has anyone done this before?

This works with head lettuce too.

I would love to have 30 stalks of celery growing in the garden this winter and 20 heads of lettuce too.

I bought 2 more stalks of celery at the grocery store, I made sure they had a lot of leaves on top to sprout. 2 more cuttings from the bottom make 3 in the rain pan outside. 13 cuttings in one glass, 11 cuttings in another glass, 6 cutting outside in the water pan. If they all grow roots we will have 33 celery plants plus 1 cutting from a head of lettuce.

Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Not me! Someone at the Gardener's Market had some though, and it was said it was grown here in the valley. I am going to have to look into it.

applestar
Mod

I didn't grow any new plants this year -- I usually grow from seeds. I did have overwintered (in the garage) runty plants that I planted out and they produced nice crop of celery seeds.

This looks like a fun way to grow them from grocery celery. Definitely buying good looking whole celery and trying it next chance I get. Thanks for the tip about using cut off 2 L bottle tubes -- you know I love to recycle :wink: -- how much of the top do you cut off? Just above the shoulder?

Allyn
Green Thumb

I can't grow that kind of celery here. It's too hot. :( But this looks like a fun project. I'll be watching your progress. :)

nltaff

I've done this with hydroponic butter crunch lettuce they sell in the grocery store in those plastic domed containers. There's a little cup at the bottom and they wind up the long roots (like a hair bun) and put those in the cup. Turn over the containers to visualize the roots-reject any that look old and/or rotting. Cut off the head, unwind the roots and pot them up.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I tried growing celery years ago and felt that the attempt was a failure.

However, I grow celeriac (root celery) every year.

It's a season long commitment, after starting seeds in the greenhouse. The plants don't like the heat of summer and just sit there. Soon it will cool and they will make rapid growth. Their stalks are fibrous but the leaves can be used in salads. The real purpose for growing them is their bulbous, homely roots. They are starchy, celery-flavored, and absolutely last forever in the crisper drawer. In mashed potatoes at about one celery root for two potatoes, they are delicious.

Steve

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I grow mine from seed but got a little carried away, I have way to much. I just cut mine off at the base and leave the roots, etc in the ground, so I can get a second cutting before fall. Works great. Celery seems to be pretty resilient.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried growing it since I moved south. I used to grow it from seed in zone 6. Every always said celery was difficult, but I never understood why. Seemed really easy to me, grew in all kinds of conditions and wasn't bothered much by any pests. I tended to get skinny little stalks with lots of leaves though, not quite like grocery store celery.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I tried two kinds of celery this year. Utah and Tango. I had heard such great things about the Utah but I wasn't impressed, hollow and skinny and went to seed quickly. I believe it is suppose to be a heirloom and the Tango is a hybrid. Definitely love the Tango, which is what I usually plant. I try to do heirloom when I can but sometimes it's kind of nice to have a hybrid.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”