sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Re: My huge potato crop.

I can't store them in the ground either, the ground freezes about 8ft deep at times during the winter.

But my great grandparents had an outside root cellar that was made of cement with cement steps that went way down into the ground to store their potatoes. What a creepy place, no light except your flash light and in the winter the steps would be icy from the snow drifting in under the wood door. No railing. There was always the biggest grossest bugs down there and you just prayed their wasn't any other critters down there keeping warm. Of course us kids were always the ones sent down there when we came over to bring up more potatoes.

Sigh.... Basements are so much nicer.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Here in AZ basements are very rare. We do have an under the house space that one can actually walk down into at first, then it becomes a more shallow crawl space. The only thing is, I hesitate to put vegetables down there because the musty smell. I think of the vegetables picking up that odor. But , maybe they wouldn't. Or, maybe there's some solution to that problem.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”