Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have good water melons.

This is the first time I ever had all my vines die. I wonder if some varieties of melon vines die when they reach maturity? The melons I have grown in the past just keep making melons until cold weather kills them. I use to pick my melons and the vines just kept making more melons, 25 to 30 melons per vine. I only got 7 melons from this little round melon. They sure do taste good. These melons were planted 90 days ago. The 2 largest melons are the size of a basket ball.

jasonvanorder

Looks good! Right now my biggest is only the size of a baseball. I doubt any will be ripe before the end of the season

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

are melons susceptible to squash vine borers, and the fungal diseases that often affect my cukes and summer squash? I've always assumed they were, and therefore never tried...

applestar
Mod

What variety is this one? If the vines conveniently die AFTER the fruits are fully ripe, that would make it very convenient for commercial mass growing and all at once harvesting. Haha.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:What variety is this one? If the vines conveniently die AFTER the fruits are fully ripe, that would make it very convenient for commercial mass growing and all at once harvesting. Haha.
Crimson Sweet Watermelons, matures in 80 days, fruit size 20 lbs.

jasonvanorder

Right now I have a few that are doubling in size every day

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Wow nice melons! I don't usually do watermelons, but maybe next year I'll give those a try!

I like that vine dying aspect too, vines dead=melons ready. :)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

JayPoc wrote:are melons susceptible to squash vine borers, and the fungal diseases that often affect my cukes and summer squash? I've always assumed they were, and therefore never tried...
https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/ins ... ne-borers/

I was curious myself and found this site that says melons are less affected by borers but can be. A couple of other sites I found say the same.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”