kayjay
Green Thumb

Zucchini Crossing

...so I've decided, rather last minute, that I'd really like to save seeds from my 'zucchini gold' plant. It did really well and it's still producing despite the stress of powdery mildew, extreme heat/humidity, and my neglect in the form of being surrounded by weeds. :oops: I'm going to bag one of the female flowers. But... there's a good chance the only male flower I'll have is from the green zucchini. If that's the case, what kind of zucchini would I end up with? Would there be some yellow and some green, or would they all be yellowish-green mutts? Or are the squashes all too weird on crossing to predict? Should I just skip it if there's no male flower on the yellow?

TIA. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Squash blossoms freely cross with any other squash in the area and the bees help move the pollen. Yes, you can save seeds, but be aware that next years crop is not likely to be like this years crop. Probably best to buy new seed for next year if you want a particular fruit. If you are into experimenting, then plant a hill of the saved seed and see what you get. I have had some of those hybrids make excellent eating squash.

applestar
Mod

Is "Zucchini Gold" the variety name? There is also another factor to consider -- if this is already a hybrid variety, then the fruits of the offspring, even if self'ed wont be the same as this year.

Best way to ensure bees won't cross contaminate the pollination is to keep the female blossom from opening until you can get to it and hand pollinate. you have to become familiar with when they are ready to open. Some people tape the flower bud closed the evening before. I've also heard that paper envelope or cup slipped over the blossom and stapled will work. I once had a female blossom that had been conveniently kept closed by its own tendril.

Remember that to save seeds you have to let the fruit mature completely.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I've already looked into the variety, and I'm 95% sure it's open-pollinated, but it's tough to figure out because google searches turn up similar varieties. "Gold Rush", Gold-this-gold-that, etc. I would bet it's actually "Golden".

I came up with a flower bag - a small mesh laundry bag that I usually use to wash my unmentionables. :>

I've never met a summer or winter squash that I haven't liked, so I think I'm willing to take a gamble on frankensquash.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”