Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Cuke seed problem

side by side cukes.JPG
On the left is Tasty Green hybrid cuke # 26 grown this year how they're supposed to look. On the right are cukes that grew again this year from another package labelled tasty green. Told Burpees's about it and they offered refund or new package. But, I'm afraid maybe the tasty green gene has been lost or altered? I'm thinking this is more than just a package mixup. Since it's a hybrid, I can't really save the seeds from the good cukes and expect them to give me the correct cuke, no?

The good cuke is from a package that is 2 or 3 yrs. old. This happened last year too from 2 seed packages labelled tasty green also. Got the same short fat cukes. They're edible, but not what I wanted. Lucky I had the old package with a few seeds left. But, what to do next year. Don't know. I'm afraid any package they send me will be the short squat cucumber again! Might try to get some from an ebay vendor.

I really do love the tasty green cuke. Tender, small seeds, crunchy, never get bitter no matter how big they get.

imafan26
Mod

I don't think it is a hybrid problem. Hybrids have to be remade from the parents to get the seed so it is usually well controlled in the industry. However, Burpee buys bulk seed from suppliers and repackages them. Occasionally they have mixed up the seed. Either from the supplier not sending them the right seed or they mislabeled when it was packaged. If you got seeds from the same supplier and in the same batch, they may not have been tasty green seeds. I would take Burpee's offer and get the replacement seeds. They are usually good about that and making sure it is from a different batch. When I contacted them because they failed to send and order, they also gave me a bonus. If they find that the seeds they sent weren't what they were supposed to be, they send replacement seeds to everyone else who ordered them even if they did not complain along with a letter of apology. One of the many reasons why it pays to order directly from the seed company rather than buy off the rack.

I bought papaya seeds once and when I opened the package there were squash seeds inside, so I got them replaced.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Yes, they were very cooperative in their email. I don't think I saved the packages though to check batch numbers. Probably if they send me a couple of packages now though it will be from a different batch. Funny thing is though the ones I bought last year and this year both had the same bad result. The last good seeds were at least 3 yrs. ago. Thx. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Better take them up on their replacement offer.

Also you might look for one called "Orient Express".

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”