A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Black Prince peppers?

We were at a botanical garden, and there was an ornamental pepper plant. I decided to pick up some of the fallen black chilies to save seeds. When we got home, I identified them as Black Prince peppers; I then cut them open and dried the seeds for several hours before putting them in a ziploc bag labeled "Black Prince Pepper Seeds". My questions are:
1. When do I plant the seeds?
2. Do I start them in a pot or outside? Or even in a paper towel?
3. Are they frost-hardy in Zone 7a? If not, do they fit in a large pot?
4. Can I eat these peppers? How hot are they?
5. Are they heavy feeders? Do I have to fertilize at all?
6. How do they taste?
7. Are they very needy plants?
8. Since I picked them up when black instead of red (mature), are the seeds viable?
Please try to answer as many as you can. I would like to know as much as possible before diving into my very first chili-growing experience.

imafan26
Mod

Most ornamental peppers are edible. Black Prince is a hot pepper. Peppers do have to reach maturity before the seeds are viable. If the peppers are too young the seeds may not be fully developed. Also consider in a botanical or ornamental garden, the peppers were not intended for consumption so they may have been sprayed with pesticides.

Peppers are not frost tolerant but grow well as potted plants and can be overwintered indoors. I start peppers in 4 inch community pots outside when the temperature is at least 70 degrees. They grow slow in the beginning and take about a month to be ready to transplant to individual 4 inch pots. Once the seedlings are about 6-8 inches tall, I transplant to gallons. They will flower around 2-3 months old and the first fruit about will be ready a month later. After the first fruit mature the plants are transplanted up to 4 gallon pots. Peppers need to be feed after each bloom cycle or about every 4-6 weeks. Underpotted peppers will wilt during the day.
The will be happy once the outside temperatures are over 60 degrees but happiest between 70-80 degrees. Seeds can be started anytime when the temperature is over 70 degrees or if you use a heat mat. I start all my plants in community pots. It takes up less space for me and I do not like to work with plug trays. That being said, many people find the starter trays useful. Peppers are not very heavy feeders but they are related to tomatoes so do well with a tomato fertilizer and regular water. They like to have at least 4-6 hours of sun.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Okay. I'll try these suggestions. Also, is there any chance that any (even a small amount of) seeds from green jalapenos can be viable? I saved seeds from six jalapenos. Hoping SOME will germinate!

imafan26
Mod

It is possible depending on how ripe the peppers are.

applestar
Mod

I have heard that with jalapeños, the seeds may be viable if corking striations have appeared on the still-green fruits.

I think few hours is not enough drying time. I leave my pepper seeds in conical coffee filter to dry for at least a week, then save them in PAPER coin envelopes. They get moldy very easily.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I have heard that with jalapeños, the seeds may be viable if corking striations have appeared on the still-green fruits.

I think few hours is not enough drying time. I leave my pepper seeds in conical coffee filter to dry for at least a week, then save them in PAPER coin envelopes. They get moldy very easily.
YES! These peppers were extensively corked.
I have always dried seeds for a few hours and saved in ziplocs. They never mold. (unless I have put water in there, to try and sprout them).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”